Do you know the factors that require consideration after installing any application for proper functioning?
- The intention of the application
- Converting your idea into reality- Designing and Developing the app
- Making your application run-Execution
- Testing your application for smooth functioning
As the operation of the application is the main concern, it is mandatory to make these factors have a smooth sail without any disruption to avoid any future inconvenience.
Importance of Mobile Application Development:
The mobile technology can be said to be “The Now” of this technological era. It is named as the “Growing Engine of Change”. Since they are the “Gateways” to human knowledge, they are enabling a ballooning economic growth in the technology sector.
Rather than being a small calling tool, today mobile phones are used for various day-to-day tasks right from video calling to presentations and mailing to managing social accounts.
With a lot of innovations and changing technologies now and then, it becomes essential to update the applications as per the recent trends. Updating the applications avoid them being old-fashioned. This results in the app to be able to utilize the full potential of your device.
Some of the complex and tedious tasks of Mobile Application Development are as follows:
- Updating the application.
- I am getting the application downloaded on the user’s device.
- Frequent use of the application.
Your application needs to be get noticed out of the pool of apps available in the market. Therefore, business owners need to opt for such mobile app development companies who can design the best application in a short span of time and update them as per the current trends to stay in the competition and on minds of people.
This write-up will aid people who are looking to opt for Agile methodology for mobile app development. But before diving into details, let us first go through the Agile Development Methodology.
Table of Contents:
- How Agile Methodology comes into the picture? What are the hurdles while implementing the path of Mobile App development?
- Why is Agile Methodology needed in Mobile Application Development?
- Few factors that you need to pinpoint while opting for mobile application development
- What is Agile Development Methodology?
- The Agile Development Life Cycle
- Agile software development sprint planning
- Types of Agile Development Methodologies
- Which Agile Development Methodology to choose?
- Benefits of using Agile Methodology
- Adopting Agile Marketing
Let us bellyflop into details one by one.
1. How Agile Methodology comes into the picture? What are the hurdles while implementing the path of Mobile App development?
The Hurdles that came into the picture:
- You need to wait for a long time for the rapid development of apps.
- You are importing apps from a single platform across some OS. The cost exceeds the budget for adopting additional platforms.
- It becomes difficult to locate native mobile app developers with strong skills.
- Experiencing a terrible app performance when Server-side development impacts end-user experience
- Lower adoption is a result of poor performance which is due to the mobile apps based on HTML5 lacking in native features
- Vast Fragmentation is the reason for app development with various options of technologies in hand.
- Due to open-source tools and plug-ins, the Complexity and cost get enhanced.
For mobile application development, you can use more than one programming languages. Other requirements during the process as mentioned at the beginning are- ideation, design, development, running, and testing.
For single mobile application development, a large number of experts in their respective fields are involved thus contributing to the success of the application.
To facilitate this entire process, Agile Methodology comes to rescue.
2. Why is Agile Methodology needed in Mobile Application Development?
The complexity of Mobile app development increases due to several changes in technology as well as the need for updations. If you compare the desktop applications and mobile applications, the complexity increases with the difference in hardware, software, and different networks used in both.
With the increase in diversity, the interaction of different users with their smartphones increases in numerous ways. The noted requirements are customer involvement, planning, regular evaluation, and risk management.
Since the customers’ requirements change time to time, this kind of flexibility and iterative approach proves a boon for complex projects. Customer engagement is desirable for their feedback at specified intervals.
Due to the increasing power of RAM, storage, etc., the difference between smartphone and desktop is increasing.
3. Few factors that you need to pinpoint while opting for mobile application development:
- Selection of Platform to build the application.
- The devices that your application is targeting.
- The interaction of the user with the traditional applications.
- The versions of the operating system you want your application to support.
- The visual layout of the application.
- Features you want to be incorporated in your application.
- You need to update an app at a particular time intervals based on trending technologies, features and versions.
Keeping these points in your to-do list enhances the performance of your app by performing the intended task. It increases the satisfaction level of the clients and users.
With the enhancement of quality while development, the traditional approach not only exceeds your budget but also gives limited scope for change. Therefore the Agile Approach is used in mobile app development.
Agile methodology gets rid of these drawbacks as it is very flexible as well as cost-effective. It is not only adaptive but also helps in developing a perfect quality application. The reason behind this is it enables you to check the errors at each step thus avoiding the error list at the final level.
4. What is Agile Development Methodology?
A method of mobile application development, Agile Technology divides a complex task into a series of development cycles.
In Agile technology:
- Each part acts as a separate task for the development team.
- They assign different parts to the respective experts.
- They assign different experts to their respective teams.
- Helps in projects that embody rapid development.
- There is a priority for individuals and interactions as compared to tools and processes.
- Importance to Working Software over comprehensive documentation
- Priority to Customer Collaboration over contract negotiation
- Agile software gives more importance to Responding to Change over following a plan.
5. Agile Development Life-cycle:
The following are the stages of Agile Development Life-Cycle:
- Scope out and prioritize projects
- Diagram requirements for the initial sprint
- Release the iteration into production
- Production and ongoing support for the software release
Let us dive into details.
1. Scope out and prioritize projects
This is the first step of the Agile software development lifecycle. Depending on the department’s organization, there might be work carried out on more than one project at the same time.
It is desirable to define the business opportunity as per the concept. It is better if you can determine the time and work required for the project as early as possible.
With these parameters, the technical and economic feasibility of the projects can be decided thus aiding in decision making whether you need to continue with them or not.
2. Diagram requirements for the initial sprint
Once the project is identified, gear up to work with the stakeholders of the project. This is necessary to frame the criteria.
A pictorial representation is always better as it is more eye pleasing. You need flow diagrams or high-level UML diagrams for demonstrating the features and their functionality. You can simply say a blueprint of your existing system.
Once you have all the requirements for the initial stage, the project work begins. With the goal of launching a working product at the end of the sprint, the system starts working on the first iteration.
With numerous revisions as expected, the first iteration might have the bare minimum functionality. If we talk about the overall product, there will be chances later on to have additional sprints for expansion.
4.Release the iteration into production
Here are the stepas for the iteration process:
- The system is tested. The QA team is involved and will be checking functionality, detecting bugs, and record wins and losses.
- Addressing defects: Once system records all the defects, the respective department will address it.
- The system is finalized and works on user documentation. The advantage of using Lucidchart is that it aids in visualizing the code through UML diagrams and thus demonstrate user flows. This is required for your project as everyone will understand how the system functions and how any construction or changes can be incorporated.
- Release the iteration into production.
5. Support for Software release
The ongoing support for software release plays a vital role as the team needs to make the system run smooth and show users how to use it.
The production phase ends with the end of support and when the release is planned for retirement.
The retirement phase marks the removal of the system release from production. This is typical during your desire to replace a system with the new release. This may also be when the system becomes redundant, obsolete, or contrary to your business model.
6. Agile software development sprint planning
As the work is divided into sprints within the agile SDLC, the goal remains unchanged. The intention is to produce a working product at the end of each sprint. Depending on the span of the sprint, the workflow should follow this basic outline:
- Plan. The sprint planning marks the beginning of the sprint. The team members come together to lay out components for the work to be done in future. The work is prioritized from the tasks that are backlogged.
- Develop. Keeping in mind the guidelines that are approved, the product is design and developed accordingly.
- Test/QA. Thorough testing and documentation are carried out before delivery.
- Deliver. You need to present the work to the stakeholders and the customers.
- Assess. The feedback from the stakeholders and customer is gathered and incorporated into the next sprint.
Daily meetings are also carried out in addition to sprint planning meetings. It is done to be in touch with the progress and for solving any conflicts.
Thus this method is called “Agile” for a reason. With its name flexibility and open to changes come into the picture.
To know more about the Sprint Planning, you can hire App Developers For Startups. He/She will be able to guide you on this subject.
According to research, you need to know these statistics about Agile methodology. These statistics will clear your doubts about why one should opt for Agile Methodology:
- As per Pulse of the Profession 2018, Project Management Institute, 2018, 46% of surveyed organizations have used an Agile or Hybrid Agile approach over the last 12 months.
- According to Gartner Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Agile Planning Tools, 2018, 76% of users have chosen an Enterprise Agile planning tool do so to increase their projects’ visibility.
8. Types of Agile Development Methodologies:
The different kinds of agile development methodologies used in software development are as follows:
- Adaptive Software Development: Basically used for software projects that have changeable requirements and lasts for short span.
- Crystal Methods: The properties like frequent delivery, reflective improvement, close or osmotic communication, personal safety, easy access to expert users, and technical environment with automated tests, configuration management, and many integration are focused.
- Dynamic Systems Development Method (DSDM): An iterative, agile development model, DSDM ensures that you complete each step only enough to be ready to move to the next level. It also helps people to work together to achieve business goals.
The different phases of the DSDM framework are:
- Study regarding Feasibility
- Study regarding Business
- Functional Model Iteration
- Design and Build Iteration
The foundation for the project is lying within the pre-project, business study, and the feasibility phases. The sytem set the foundation rules in these phases. The post-project is primarily to monitor whether the business has met all the requirements. With this, it also tracks the performance.
4. Feature Driven Development (FDD): Feature driven development is model driven. A model is designed at the beginning which specifies several features and iterations of those features.
There are five different processes namely:
- Model development
- A feature list is build
- Taking the feature into account, plan accordingly
- Considering the feature, design accordingly
- Build By Feature
These processes not only contribute to the overall project development cycle but also define classes and interrelationships and the overall shape of the system.
5.Lean Development: Specifically used for developing mobile apps. Here risks are taken and further it is turned into an opportunity by dealing. It, in turn, provides a competitive advantage to the business over others.
6. Essential principles of Lean Development are as follows:
- Waste Elimination
- Knowledge Creation
- Defer Commitment
- Fast Delivery
- Respecting People
- Build Quality In
- Optimizing the whole
These principles help you in:
- Analyzing the waste
- Feedback gathering from customers
- Improving product
- Limit the mistakes
- Dealing with the changes we are encountering
- Faster delivery with best features
This aids in mobile app development for flexibility in choosing the option to incorporate the latest features. In addition to this, it also helps in meeting the demand of the users, developers, project owners, etc.
7.Extreme Programming(XP): Focus is more on the current task rather than the overall task. This is used for frequent changes in the requirements and for projects which have short span.
With its principle of simple code and design, it makes it easier for people who have joined at later stages.
XP is based on four groups as given below:
The active participation of everyone is desirable including the customers.
The 12 core practices are as follows:
- Coding standards
- Collective Code Ownership
- Simple Design
- System Metaphor
- Pair Programming
- Planning game
- Test-driven development
- A team as a whole
- Continuous integration
- Small releases
- Sustainable Pace
Depending on the feedback, any new change is incorporated. It is very suitable for mobile app development as this method helps you to launch the project and gives you the advantage of combining modifications as per the requirement.
7.Scrum: Scrum allows flexible process control for complex software projects. It also makes use of iterative and incremental practices. Aids in taking action when the requirement changes.
As per the hypothesis, we can’t define the final requirements of the project at the initial stages. As honestly said, “Learn from the mistakes,” knowledge is gained by making mistakes throughout the process.
Scrum focuses on monitoring the progress of the project and solves the difficulties as soon as it triggers.
9. Which Agile Development Methodology to choose?
Every method mentioned above has its essence and functionalities. Thus choosing any one of them for your mobile application development will however help you to achieve your target.
Few points to remember while selecting one of them for your mobile app development:
- Size of the company
- The culture of the company
- Team Size
- Project Size
- Technical Aspects
- Criticality of the projects
- Project Requirements
For instance, if you have a smaller team and a smaller project then extreme programming methodology can be implemented. If the team size is bigger and the project is complex then, Scrum Methodology is used. If you are more focused on faster delivery then, Lean development will be the best option.
10. Benefits of Agile Methodology:
The developers, users and businesses are being benefited by the use of Agile methodology. Here are some of the benefits:
- Due to its team-based approach, teamwork and team spirit are also promoted.
- Keep updated with the latest trends.
- Provisions to have added new features.
- At each stage of development, planning, and research, testing comes into play.
- Aids in launching the project faster.
- It meets the customers’ requirements.
- People and interactions have more importance.
- Developers and testers are in constant communication with each other.
- Aids in knowing the customers better.
11. Adopting Agile Marketing:
Before going into details of the advantages of taking agile marketing, let us see first what Agile Marketing is?
Taking its inspiration from Agile software development, it responds to change over a following a plan, values rapid iterations, testing, and data have priority, small experiments are more considered an individual, collaborations and interactions are more valued.
The goal of Agile Marketing:
The main aim of Agile marketing is:
- Improving speed
- Predictability improvement
The process followed by Agile Marketers:
- Agile Marketers follow a process called Scrum.
- Increases the alignment
- Improving communication within and outside the marketing team.
- You are increasing the speed and responsiveness of marketing.
The iterative process of agile development with slight difference followed for agile marketing is as follows:
Sprint Planning –> Sprint & Scrums–> Sprint Review –> Sprint Retrospective
The result to follow this iterative process is:
It allows small marketing experiments, frequent feedback, and holds the capacity for reacting the market conditions.
Adopting Agile Marketing gave the next breakthrough:
- It became an alternative way to deliver software.
- I have improved the quality and relevance of products.
- Improved collaboration and enhanced performance.
- Improved time and drive more value.
- Adopted to develop and deliver marketing campaigns.
- Far more responsive way to execute and manage marketing initiatives in this digital age.
- Another alternative for feedback-driven marketing.
If you are into the ocean of Mobile Application Development Services then you should opt for Agile development. Agile development is recommended because of rapid production, flexibility to the client to change the scope of the project, easily adaptable, and other such features.
Disclaimer: We at eSparkBiz Technologies have created this blog with all the consideration and utmost care. We always strive for excellence in each of our blog posts and for that purpose, we ensure that all the information written in the blog is complete, correct, comprehensible, accurate and up-to-date. However, we can’t always guarantee that the information written in the blog correct, accurate or up-to-date. Therefore, we always advise our valuable readers not to take any kind of decisions based on the information as well as the views shared by our authors. The readers should always conduct an in-depth research before making the final decision. In addition to these, all the logos, 3rd part trademarks and screenshots of websites & mobile apps are the property of the individual owners. We’re not associated with any of them.