How Much Would It Cost To Develop An AR App Like Ikea Place?
With the growing technology and market, people are evolving in terms of taste and the urge to buying products online. Going to the shops and then purchasing products which might not be required or does not fits in is a tedious process. Online shopping has helped many people in different regions of the world in a variety of ways. Online shopping now has become more intuitive and user-friendly with Augmented Reality.
Many of the Mobile App Development companies have started working towards using this feature in their applications.
Many shopping apps are using the feature of AR, and one such app is IKEA.
Facts and Figures
A total of US$819m revenue was collected through the “Furniture & Homeware” segment in 2018. The expected annual growth rate (CAGR 2018-2022) in 2022 would be of 11.3% which will give in US$1,256 million market volume.
Since there has been a tremendous rise in revenue in recent years in the sector of furniture and interior décor, now it is the time implement the most significant mobile app trends that are prevailing in furniture and hardware retail, i.e., “The Augmented Reality.”
It has proven to be helpful for the customers to buy the right furniture in no time. It has also helped the app development firms by increasing the business.
With a total generation of revenue of 35 billion Euros, IKEA in 2016 was the world’s largest furniture manufacturer.
IKEA is a furniture shopping company. Along with designing it also sells home accessories, kitchen appliances, and ready-to-assemble furniture. Since 2008 it has been the largest furniture retailer all over the world.
The Augmented Reality and factors you need to consider before developing an augmented reality app?
Augmented Reality is the idea of creating a virtual environment that seems to be real by combining the real world objects with the virtual ones to make them look real on the systems.
Factors That Need To Be Considered Before Developing An AR App:
- It is essential to analyze the whole problem and identify the environment.
- Discuss and complete the flow of the functionalities in the app and use case.
- The critical task is to select the relevant software development kits as per the requirements of the app.
- Considering the cloud recognition approach one needs to create target objects for the app.
- The final step comprises of creating virtual objects for augmentation.
IKEA’s Reasons To Build An AR App
Earlier IKEA used 3D graphics software “3D Max” by Autodesk for rendering photorealistic images. They used 3D models instead of photos for their catalogs.
Developing an AR app was a part of their digital marketing strategy.
It was essential to grow with the technology and introduce new, powerful and unique features for the customers to increase the business and be in the race of leading furniture retail business. It not only grew their customers but also gave competition to others for business mobile application development.
Apple’s AR Kit primarily boosted the IKEA Place app development; it is a tool facilitating the development of AR app.
The IKEA Place app enables a customer to place a piece of furniture virtually in the room and see how it looks and whether it suits in that room or not.
Benefits Of Augmented Reality E-Commerce Apps Like IKEA In Retail Business
Technology is growing, and so is the demand for new and innovative products. As a result, it has become the need of the retailers to develop and use AR e-commerce apps for the growth of their business.
- AR has offered many amazing opportunities and features, and it has also proved to help increase sales and expand the customer base.
- Augmented Reality app development allows customers to view the products virtually and buy accordingly. It not only makes a customer happy but also helps them in selecting the right product which results in increased sales. A customer can preview and then buy based on his/her choice.
- AR also provides new ideas for promotions, ads, and commercials, thereby providing 3D experience to users.
- AR helps in keeping a customer happy by reducing the number of returns and exchanges and allowing them to shop freely.
- AR apps can target young generations as well, as this generation is more into online shopping. In terms of accessibility, it is really great and can be used in mobile phones thereby bringing legit business to the enterprise.
- Delivering a great shopping experience lures more and more customers.
- It becomes easy to motivate the customers towards buying a product with the help of AR apps by displaying the products creatively and interactively.
Working of AR Shopping App Like IKEA
The first step is to open the app.
- Once it is opened, on the selected e-commerce product page, the camera opens itself and focuses on an orange cross at the bottom right corner.
- Click on the icon that appears on the device’s screen to access AR mode.
- The printed version option is to be selected next to get a printed version of the brochure.
- The next step is to place the furniture where the user wants to put the new décor item or the furniture.
- On selecting the virtual furnishing, a rough dimension is estimated which is close to the one in the real-world catalog of IKEA.
Users can-> browse the catalog -> chose the decor item or furniture -> switch to AR mode ->View it in phone screen as to how it will look in reality.
AR app offers a variety of features one of which is wide-angle views but it does not allow a 360-degree view, objects can detect horizontal surfaces in the room.
As the camera opens, an outline of the product is surfaced in the frame now the user can move the object as per his choice. He/she can shift, rotate or replace to place it rightly. As a result, the user can view the new furniture in the room with the appropriate background and other objects.
Other AR Apps That Can Beat IKEA Market
Many app development companies have introduced the concept of AR in their apps which has increased the competition. Many top mobile app development companies have also given fierce competition to the IKEA place app as well.
Few such apps that can beat IKEA Market are:
This app offers rich AR features for the users to place their selected decor items at the right place in their room interiors. This app uses the exact measurements of room dimensions.
With the help of the Google Tango platform, it provides the capability to place 3D furniture in a real room environment. Tango is a Google 3D vision technology based on computer vision to determine the furniture’s position relative to the objects surrounding them.
It is a US-based online furniture and decor retailer started in 2016 and has been one of the best mobile application. It uses Google’s ARcore to enable customers to have a view of digital images of types of furniture. It has various other features also which includes rotating this furniture in different angles in real time.
One of the best features of this app is that it provides with the “Add-to-cart” option wherein a user can add the furniture or the selected item to the cart which then directs the user to the checkout page.
Houzz company is for decoration and interior designing. It has an interior décor application developed by one of the leading mobile application development companies.
Unlike the previous two, this company offers quite different and varied features like renovation ideas, designing, 3D imagery décor, and furniture shopping. It uses the same concept of AR for furniture and décor shopping features.
Houzz has more than 300,000 items in the database since the app’s launch, and 50% of its buyers have bought furniture using AR features to review it.
This app has a wide variety of features for the customers apart from the AR view. It provides product data and details of everything ranging from shades and textures to models and designing. It has a “dimensioning feature” which enables the customers to evaluate the chosen item and find the maximum size.
The app also has a share on a social media platform option which allows the customers to save the configured furniture and share to social media platforms to get reviews from friends and relatives.
Amazon introduced a new AR feature to its apps on 1st November. Customers can visualize the products with the help of this feature. It includes furnishings which customers often consider buying in their real living space.
It is based on Apple’s AR kit and hence this feature if for iOS-based mobile devices.
To use this feature:
Tap on the camera icon-> choose AR view -> select the required category and product -> place the object/rotate the object to put it at the right place and in the right position virtually anywhere.
With these apps, the leading furniture retail and other e-commerce businesses with the help of leading mobile app development companies are trying their best to be on top by implementing the AR feature in their apps. These companies hire the top developers of the world to give out the best results and be excellent in this field.
Development Tools For AR Applications
Another critical part of an application is the software development tools. A software development kit also called devkit consists of a variety of software development tools that are helpful in one or the other way for the development of an AR app.
This kit is used by the developers to simplify the coding in the AR application development. It reduces the pain of writing extra lines of code and writing steps from scratch.
Some of the widely used and most helpful SDKs for AR mobile apps are :
Working with #Wikitude and looking to improve specific aspects of your #ARproject? Access our extensive documentation section https://t.co/KQMEx1BGp1 to find help and detailed information about our products. #TipTuesday #TechTuesday #AugmentedReality pic.twitter.com/bzjYA80mXR
— Wikitude (@wikitude) March 26, 2019
This SDK has been the fastest among many available and also offers a myriad of recognized images. It can also be a good analog for Wikitude and Vuforia, but in some areas, it is inferior to Vuforia. It is also behind Wikitude in specific functionalities like offering cloud-recognition for geo-location. But in case of storage, it is really great as it requires less memory for storing libraries.
It is the most prominent SDKs across the world as it provides robust and comfortable tools for developers support. With the help of computer vision technology, it enables the developers to target and track images.
It also has the feature of projecting 3D images in real time and the environment.
It supports a variety of platforms like iOS, Android, Unity Editor, and UWP.
Developing AR Furniture Experience In Few Steps
For the development of AR mobile application, two key elements should be taken care of for projecting the objects. These are:
- Objects should not be floating in the air, i.e., they should be stable and placed on a surface or floor.
- The size of the objects should be right and exact.
Wikitude SDK due to its SLAM algorithm has proven to be very helpful for the above implementation. It is combined with scaling to allow the user to do desired things like displaying the right product at the right place in the right position and of the exact size.
Following steps are required to be followed to create an AR app:
- The first step is to set up the information about the base like App name, bundle-ID.
- Then you need to select a template which is in as per the industry requirements for which you are building the app.
- Next comes the designing phase where CSS is used to design the app in the browser with the help of the inspector.
- Add the content wherever required.
- Test the app with the help of chosen SDKs.
The above steps help develop an AR app, but for making the development process faster, you must follow these steps:
Customization Of The App:
It is an essential feature of the AR app where visualizing products and objects in augmented reality on the mobile device is seen. The developers can render 3D models of the items, make design changes, create pre-sets and a lot more.
CMS Customization Of The App
A customized CMS is created by the developers to ensure high performance and flexibility of the app. Implementing this in the AR app provides full control as desired without any external support.
Developing 3D Models To Upload To The CMS
Developers create virtual 3D models of the products in very little time and then as, and when required it is uploaded to the CMS.
Releasing The Apps To The Store
After finishing the development of the app, and when it is ready to be launched, a demonstration of the app is given by logging in. Once this process is complete, the marketing team helps to submit the Android and iOS apps to their respective Google Play and Apple play stores.
Features Of AR Shopping Apps Like IKEA
- It provides a 360° view of the environment where the object is to be placed.
- It gives a 3D look of the selected product.
- It also enables the users to share the products and the view on social media for suggestions.
- A wide-angle positioning option is available.
- It creates a complete user profile and provides access to a variety of media.
- A user has his/her order history along with shipment tracking.
- It also has payment gateway integration for making it easier for the users to buy the product online.
- It is synced across devices with proper device hardware usage.
- Navigation through different pages and product categories is easy and smooth with references to each product page in an appropriate manner.
- It provides multiple language support.
- The class design is excellent with an interactive entourage.
Apart from the basic features mentioned above IKEA also provides some advanced and more amazing features which are as follows:
- Integration of CMS for the content and products.
- Integration of Inventory Management System and Customer Relationship Management.
- It has a feature for managing address book, accessing the photo-gallery.
- It gives the user engagement feature of push notification.
- It also has its own loyalty program for the users and a fleet tracking system.
- It provides app personalization along with the facility of chatbots for the new user or in case of difficulty.
- It has a feature of calculating the analytics in real time with real-time dashboards.
Essential Features of Augmented Reality Mobile App
There are a lot of basic and advanced features available that can be implemented and added to an AR mobile application out of which Augmented Reality in itself is the most important feature. It is a significant feature that makes these types of apps unique and worth the market. Some of the most prominent AR apps available are:
The easiest way to create an AR app is by using the mobile device’s gyroscope. With the help of this one can place 3D models anywhere as desired. These features do not require any SDK.
The Vortex Planetarium is an astronomy based app that uses the gyroscope. Stars, planets, and constellations are placed around a user with the help of it.
Uses data from the device through Wi-Fi, compass & GPS to augment reality. Virtual models, media, link, text info are positioned around a user.
The main drawback of this feature is that a user has to be in the right location and should have good internet connectivity for experiencing the best AR.
Wikitude developers are mainly used to develop features like this. An example of an app using this feature is Pokemon Go. In this app, digital characters are placed in the physical environment and users have to catch them in virtual reality. Another location-based AR app is the flightradar24 application which helps to track planes in real-time.
One way to create AR apps is by using trigger-markers which can be QR codes, images, cards, icons or movie posters, in the real world.
The user’s camera capture’s the triggers, and then the app projects a particular AR model or media onto it.
These apps are elementary and handy to create and integrate. The main drawback of such an app is setting triggers, and it requires a lot of time and money.
The popularly used SDKs to develop such features are Kudan, Wikitude, Vuforia and Maxst SDKs.
An example of such an app is Inkhunter, which uses markers to project tattoo designs. Layar app is used for generating projections and scanning printed media images.
The Quiver app is used to create 3D models.
Cost Of Creating An AR App
The project cost depends largely on the team developing the app. It is dependent on both skills of the team members in their respective fields and the time-frame of development.
Many app development companies Hire Mobile App Developer whether it’s from India or any region of the world. To develop an app in the least time and cost with maximum functionalities, one needs to hire a person for each role with excellent skills and experience. Mainly following people are necessarily required in a team:
- Project Manager to manage the app and the team.
- Requirement analyst for requirement gathering and analysis for the development of the project to an app.
- Android/iOS developers, depending upon the type of application.
- And a QA specialist.
Each of the members plays a significant role in the team, and each one is equally important for the development of the best mobile app.
The AR apps involving 3D images and animation require intensive work for the production of high-quality pictures to make the elements look real and natural to the users. Thus image processing skills must be high in the designers.
AR App Development Rates
Different regions have different prices for AR app development depending on the team and the cost of developers in the respective area.
Rates of AR app development for few countries are as follows:
- Northern America: $50 to $250/hour
- Western Europe: $50 to $200/hour
- Eastern Europe: $30 to $100/hour
- Australia: $40 to$170/hour
- Southern America: $15 to $75/hour
- India: $20 to $50/hour
How Much It Costs For Developing An Ar App Like IKEA?
For developing a mobile application like IKEA, different app development companies use different strategies to minimize the incurring cost and maximize the features and functionalities of the app. But still, on an average, a total of $43,000 is incurred where for development it involves 25,000, for design and 3D animations 5000 depending on the number, for back-end 10,000 and QA it’s 3,000.
It is preferred to get customer AR apps for business as it requires a comprehensive development process; templates won’t work effectively. These kinds of apps need top mobile app developers, designers, 3D artists and a lot of time and also these can be expensive at times but would be unique.
Developing applications like IKEA is the combined efforts of mobile app developers which are of great help to the app development firms. Mobile app developers from India and various other regions cumulatively design and develop a unique AR app with the help of the right mobile app development company.
Shopping apps like IKEA provide a great experience to the users with the help of the AR feature. It enables them to choose the right object by placing it in the right position and at the right angle in the real world environment and making the right decision to buy that product. Different apps offer different features, and each of them is unique in their own way.
IKEA has had tough competition, but it is still in the game. It offers a wide range of features and angle positioning with social media sharing and cart options. Augmented Reality is required to be implemented in all other applications as well.
Disclaimer: We at eSparkBiz Technologies have created this blog with all the consideration and utmost care. We always strive for excellence in each of our blog posts and for that purpose, we ensure that all the information written in the blog is complete, correct, comprehensible, accurate and up-to-date. However, we can’t always guarantee that the information written in the blog correct, accurate or up-to-date. Therefore, we always advise our valuable readers not to take any kind of decisions based on the information as well as the views shared by our authors. The readers should always conduct an in-depth research before making the final decision. In addition to these, all the logos, 3rd part trademarks and screenshots of websites & mobile apps are the property of the individual owners. We’re not associated with any of them.