There has been a massive increase in the number of mobile apps in recent years. People have found their convenience almost addictive. People are using it for nearly everything. Using mobile apps is very easy. It is also easy to personalize the app so that you don’t have to feed your details every time. It has made people love mobile applications.
This love for mobile apps has made every company want to have one. They know that it is the only way to attract people. Companies can either build their app themselves or outsource it to mobile app development companies. The decision is not easy. We will see what they should consider before taking the decision.
1. The Mobile App Scenario
Everyone knows how fast smartphones have increased in volumes in the past few years. They are getting cheaper by the day, enabling people from many financial positions to buy them. Estimates say that there could be six billion people using smartphones by the year 2020. Statista says that there is likely to be around 352.9 billion app downloads by 2021.
Find more statistics at Statista
What makes mobile apps so attractive to people ❓
There are many reasons. The first reason is that people can use it anywhere they want at any time. All they need is connectivity to the internet. It means that even when they are commuting to the office, they can get a lot of work done using mobile apps.
Unlike websites, mobile apps don’t need you to enter your details every time. There is even no need to log in each time. A press on the app icon will take you inside the app. All your details are already available there. All mobile apps connect to your mobile number and email ids. Once you feed your details, it remains there.
Another big reason for mobile apps to become famous is its usability. Developers build most of the apps with convenience in mind. Users must be able to use the various sections of the app even while they are engaged in other work. It means that an app will allow you to browse the multiple pages with ease.
Payment is very easy in a mobile app. Payment authentication is mostly done using PINs sent to the mobile device. It is convenient to authenticate. Mobile app users can also track the progress of their orders in the app itself as there is GPS available. Sharing one’s location for delivery is also comfortable with mobile apps.
Businesses have found that if they need to be in the market, they should have enterprise mobility solutions. As most of the people depend on apps, companies are forced to build their apps. They also benefit from getting a much broader reach than is possible with a brick and mortar shop. They spend much less on advertisements.
Mobile apps have helped many new startups to become rich. With a low investment, many entrepreneurs can do business with a mobile app. A good mobile app makes it unnecessary to have a physical address or shop. This dramatically reduces investment and expenses. There is also much less risk with such a business.
- Studies say that there will be 352.9 billion app downloads by 2021.
- Mobile apps can be used anywhere at any time even while on the move.
- There is no need to feed all the details repeatedly. Your details are already available in the app.
- Your mobile numbers and email ids remain in the app.
- You need not to log in each time. You can enter your app with a tap on the button.
- Mobile apps are very easy to use. You can use them even while you are attending to other work.
- You can move to different sections in the app with ease.
- Payment authentication is very easy on mobile apps.
- Users can track their orders easily with mobile apps.
- Companies get a much broader reach of customers with mobile apps.
- It is a good business for startups. There is very little investment in doing business through apps.
- Many entrepreneurs have made good money by mobile apps.
2. Mobile App Development
Mobile app development is a job better done by experts. So, companies who want to build an app should approach a mobile app development company for this purpose. Many mobile app development companies are regularly building apps for their clients. These companies have qualified people for the job.
The companies have two options when it comes to building an app. It doesn’t matter whether they are making the apps for themselves or others. They can use the development teams in the company. The other option is to get it done by an outsourcing company. There are many reasons to consider outsourcing the work.
The First reason for outsourcing apps is Reduce of mobile app development costs. Many countries in the world have app developers who can create the app for a much lesser price. Hiring an in-house team is undoubtedly very expensive. Apart from the salary, you have to provide them with other benefits too.
Hiring developers yourself has a lot of problems. You are not sure of the success of the app. If you don’t succeed, you may not want to go ahead with building another app. It means that the people you hired won’t be useful for you anymore. The mobile app market is so volatile that you don’t know what lies in the future.
Another reason for outsourcing the project is to get access to experts. Different apps will need different kinds of experts. Outsourcing will give you an opportunity to get developers who are experts in the latest frameworks. You can get an app with all the modern features when you get an expert thorough in the newest technology.
The outsourcing companies not only help in building the apps. They are also good at researching the app market and finding what type of app is likely to succeed. They will assimilate all the required talents. They will also test the app before they hand over the same to you. You also get support for the app after you launch it.
The development of mobile apps needs a lot of experts. There are specialized companies for that.
- A business house can get the app developed in-house or outsource the job.
- Employing your developers can be costly. You have to give them all the benefits.
- If the app fails, you will have to send out all the developers you hired or bear their costs.
- Outsourcing the job is much cheaper. Many countries have developers at little cost.
- You can get access to talents that specialize in the latest technologies.
- Outsourcing companies have people with all the latest skills who can build an app with the latest features.
- Outsourcing companies will also do market research for the app.
- The app developing companies will test the app thoroughly before handing over the same to you.
- They also provide you support after you launch the app.
3. Selecting The Right Outsourcing Option
When you are looking to outsource your mobile app development, you will come across several options. There are different kinds of companies and people who can outsource the app development for you. You need to know the merits of each of these companies.
Boutique App Development Firms
- These are firms specializing in mobile app development.
- They use the agile method for app development.
- These firms give a lot of importance to product strategy, user interface and user experience.
- There are companies of different capabilities in this category based on skills and size.
- You should know their past clients, their location and delivery capabilities.
Big App Development Firms
- These are large corporations involved in all forms of software technologies.
- They offer app development as part of their business.
- They have strong technical expertise and teams.
- They may use the agile methodology of development, but not always.
- Response and flexibility may not be perfect.
- They may not be as attentive to your needs as the smaller firms.
- Such big firms are typically more expensive than smaller ones.
- As the name suggests, these are freelance developers.
- They are available in large numbers and possess excellent technical skills.
- They are much less expensive compared to app development companies.
- They may not have the expertise for product strategy.
- The independent developers are mostly skilled in one of the mobile platforms only.
- They lack the support of a good team.
- You cannot expect market or user research capabilities with these developers.
- The main advantage is that they are the least expensive.
- These firms may lack in good technology and design.
- The quality of work may not be as good as you need.
- You should ensure that they really can deliver what you need.
- There will be issues regarding security and IP protections.
- Differences in culture and the language is spoken can affect the work.
- Time differences can make it difficult to manage the work.
- They cannot be teamed with outsourcing but are a good alternative in many cases.
- These products have many features that you will need.
- There is no time delay in deploying these apps.
- The cost of these products is much lesser than the custom-made apps.
- They come with maintenance or is available separately.
- You cannot customize them to your needs.
- The UI/UX will be standard and not specific to your company.
- You pay for features you may not need.
- You will be able to make adjustments for market conditions only when they update the app.
4. Things To Consider When Outsourcing Mobile App Development
Outsourcing your mobile app development can save you a lot of money. But you should be sure that you can manage the development process remotely. There are many things you should consider before handing over the job to the mobile app developers.
The first and foremost thing is to know what you need. You should know exactly what type of app you want. You must know what you want out of the app. It will be easy to communicate with the developers when you are clear about this. This will ensure to finish the job fast.
You must be clear about the features that you will need. You should select the mobile platforms. It is better if you can study some of the similar apps so that you get an idea of what features will be required to make your app popular among the users. You should decide at the beginning itself the type of monetization you want for your app.
Know The Risks
When you outsource your app development, certain risks are inevitable. If you are aware of those risks, then you will be better prepared. Many development teams are likely to lose their focus in the middle. You should always be following up on the progress and ensure they remember the goal.
Another risk is that there could be a delay in the delivery of the product. You should be very clear about the delivery dates from the start of the program. You may not even know what is causing the delay. You should keep a close relationship with the developing team.
The quality of the product is another thing to worry about. You should keep harping on the features that you want and the quality you expect. You may be forced to hand over the job to a team that is outside your country. Ensure that the communication lines are transparent and open. Language and culture issues may come in between.
Finding The Right Developer
The next logical step is to go shopping. Look at the various options you have in front of you. Once you are clear about your goals, you should be able to narrow down your search. You should certainly look around correctly before taking the decision. You must not hurry with the decision which you may regret later.
Handing over the project to an offshore team is a good possibility. It will be the one that is best for your wallet. But you must be ready to handle the difficulties that accompany such a situation. But there are good companies who are already working with clients in your country. Find them out so that they will already be familiar with your culture and requirements.
Before you finalize the deal, check their portfolio. See if the developers have done similar projects. See how their products are. Websites are giving you reviews about app developers. Go through them. Select a company that can provide you total solutions. Check if they are also going to outsource the work.
Communication Is The Key
Once you have selected the mobile application company, ensure to open a communication line that is convenient to both of you. Using an instant messaging service will be very good. You don’t have to wait for emails. Communication can be much faster. Communicate as often as needed.
You should not fear to ask questions. Give the same opportunity to the developing team also. Be very specific in your communication. Make clear what you need from them. Get confirmation that they can meet your requirements. You must anticipate doubts that the developer might have and proactively communicate on them.
Get the proper reports for the completion of each stage. You must know the progress very clearly. If at any stage, you feel that the answers are not straight it is time for you to take action. Ensure to get clear answers and confirmations at every step. Proper, timely communication can save time and get you the right product.
Establishing clear milestones is essential. It will ensure that you get the right kind of feedback at these stages. With clear milestones, you can also be sure that there won’t be too much delay in getting your product ready. You can decide whether you pay at each milestone or pay a deposit and settle the rest once you get the product.
Milestones also help in assessing the product at different stages. This way, even if you need to make any changes, it becomes easier. The markets keep changing, and you may want to make changes accordingly. Setting up milestones will help you get a final product that suits the market correctly.
Testing The Product
Before you release the product, you must test the app. There are likely to be some problems at the last moment. Get it cleared by your developing team. Test the app for all the parameters and satisfy yourself that it is ready for launch.
The app developers can also help you to release the app. There are several conditions to be satisfied before releasing the app in the app stores. Apple App Store has very stringent requirements about the release of mobile apps. The app development company can help you fulfill these conditions and release the app.
- Be clear about your requirements before you scout for a development company.
- Have a clear idea about the features, which platforms to release the app and the monetization methods.
- Have a clear goal in mind so that there is no ambiguity when explaining to the developers.
- Know the dangers of outsourcing your project.
- Ensure that the developers are on the same page as you. Keep reminding them of the goal.
- Beware of quality and delivery issues. Keep harping on them.
- Cultural and language differences can crop up in the case of offshore outsourcing.
- Explore all the options available before finalizing the outsourcing company.
- Check their portfolio and read reviews about the developers.
- Make sure that they have done projects similar to yours and of the same size.
- Communication is a crucial aspect when you are outsourcing your project.
- Have a clear and open line of communication. Ask questions and get clear answers.
- Set milestones and ensure you achieve them. Fix the payment method in advance.
- Test the product before launching it. You can take the developers’ help in launching the app.
While big companies have the option of getting their in-house team of developers, smaller companies who are not in the IT industry have to look for outside support necessarily. Getting an app developed outside is nothing new. Even IT companies look for outsourcing their app development for various reasons.
Any mobile app developers can get the job done for you. Many are already experts in the field. But you need to understand the difficulties in getting the job outsourced. There are difficulties in remotely controlling a team. But if you can overcome those difficulties outsourcing to offshore companies can save you a lot of money.
Disclaimer: We at eSparkBiz Technologies have created this blog with all the consideration and utmost care. We always strive for excellence in each of our blog posts and for that purpose, we ensure that all the information written in the blog is complete, correct, comprehensible, accurate and up-to-date. However, we can’t always guarantee that the information written in the blog correct, accurate or up-to-date. Therefore, we always advise our valuable readers not to take any kind of decisions based on the information as well as the views shared by our authors. The readers should always conduct an in-depth research before making the final decision. In addition to these, all the logos, 3rd part trademarks and screenshots of websites & mobile apps are the property of the individual owners. We’re not associated with any of them.
You may also like:
- 7 Best Practices to Overcome Mobile Application Usability Issues
- 13 factors that affect your app development cost
- 5G Network: It’s Impact on Mobile Apps in 2019 and beyond
- Few To-Dos While Estimating for Your Mobile App Development
- Top 4 To-dos for Transforming the Mobile App Market with Artificial Intelligence
- Wanna Increase User Retention With Mobile App Onboarding? Here are few To-dos.
- Top Mobile App Trends To Look For In 2019