How Mobile App Differs From Mobile Website? Let The Best One Win
With every new day, there is a new trend in the market. The brands at a maximal level welcome these trends. Businesses have realized the Necessity Of Mobile Apps as a part of their curricula in the long run.
But due to the heavy usage of mobile phones, companies are forced to reassess the strategies that they had a blueprint. The most crucial question that revolves around is which is better? Mobile app or mobile website?
As Julie Ask, Vice President, Forrester Research, quoted,
“We still see most of our clients cramming PC experiences onto phones when they should be thinking in terms of mobile moments instead.”
It shows the gravity of thoughts that should have been extended far down the lane in this era.
As per research by App Annie, $41.1 billion as gross income revenue was generated by the mobile app industry in 2015.
There is a probability as per the reports that this will be elevating further up to $50.9 billion and gradually balloon to $189 billion by 2020.
It shows that the mobile app development companies have no signs of putting the brakes on.
In this article, the main aim is to provide freedom from doubt conclusion regarding the thought of whether to select a Mobile app or Mobile website.
We will cover the following sections in this article:
- What is a mobile application? For what mobile apps are best suited?
- Suitability of Mobile Application
- In spite of having so many advantages, why mobile apps fail?
- What is a mobile website? For what mobile site is best suited?
- Pros of Mobile Website
- Why does mobile web fail?
- Comparing the features
- Future Scope of Mobile Apps and web
1. What is a mobile application? For what mobile apps are best suited?
People download mobile apps from portals depending on the type of operating system dwelling. As per statista, the number of mobile app downloads in 2021 is as shown below:
Also, a report by TechCrunch stated that the average number of apps people use daily is 9 and monthly 30 apps.
2. Suitability of Mobile Application
- Functionalities like cameras, click-to-call, and scanners when desirable.
- You need a mobile app for processing complex queries and situations in the banking and finance sector.
- Mobile applications gain attention when there is a demand for interactive games, tools, and services.
But to decide upon these parameters is not just enough. Therefore a few pros have to be considered while developing a mobile app:
- Mobile Applications are more popular and convenient.
- Provides better user experiences, loads the content faster and using with ease.
- Mobile apps are full of rich features; thus retention and customer loyalty increases.
- Design fits in all digital boxes elegantly.
Giving a personal touch
- Mobile apps are ideal for daily use.
- Customized services like creating personal accounts, individualizing preferences, crucial information in the fist, etc.
- You can achieve the factor of targeting the audience is for business.
- You are customizing marketing campaigns according to the various groups.
- An added advantage is to access data offline.
- You can access these features without an internet connection.
3. In spite of having so many advantages, why mobile apps fail?
As every coin has two sides, mobile applications come with few cons that frame the reason for their failure.
- Compatibility comes where you check the affinity of the app with the operating system.
- Cross-platform frameworks can’t complement each module and feature.
- This kind of restrictions causes sub-optimal functionality.
- It also leads to stability problems.
Service and Assistance:
- If the app is for multiple platforms, then service will cost you a lot and so time.
- Every device has its upgrades and fixes thus maintaining them is a difficult task.
- Users need to be informed about these updates.
- Market approval is another tedious, time-consuming task as maintaining needs permission from the apps foster homes.
4. What is a mobile website? For what mobile site is best suited?
If you have thoughts to outreach your strategies and have a marketing-centric blueprint in mind, then mobile websites can be your ideal partner in this.
A mobile website can be termed as responsive design as they work for all sizes of the screen and the content quality shouldn’t degrade.
A mobile website is better suited when:
- You want to avoid app store dealing.
- Independent of the operating system while updating any information (Hassle-free updation).
- Its budget fits your pocket.
- Hassle-free maintenance.
5. Pros of Mobile Website
Some advantages of a mobile website which would make you think about opting it.
- Enhancing user experience across different mobile screens.
- Easy integration with other features of mobile like messaging, etc.
- Reaches maximum audience as not bound to the limitations of different devices.
Support and Maintenance:
- Pocket-friendly upgrades.
- Maintenance is simple as you only need to maintain a single version.
Efficient and flexible
To know about the mobile website, you should contact a company and find out How Much Does It Cost To Hire An App Developer. He/She should be able to guide you regarding this subject.
6. Why does mobile web fail?
Even after having a bucketful of advantages to select mobile website, due to a few loopholes, they lack behind.
- Fails to leverage all smartphone features efficiently.
- The screen size of the device is another limitation.
- Displays less content on mobile phones as compared to desktop or laptop screen.
- The probability of harming the UX strategy as mobile websites aim to implement the same interface for both platforms.
- The single-window restriction comes into the picture. Single-window means need not leave the page in search of a content
You can only cached pages while displaying offline. It requires a good internet connection.
7. Comparing the features
As we have seen the basics of mobile app and mobile web, the main question remains the same. In the next section, we will be diving in the comparison factors on which we can jump to a conclusion. The elements on which we will be comparing are as follows:
- The Budget you have
- Interaction whether online/offline
- Traditional Mass Media
Let us bellyflop the details one by one.
1. The budget you have
- Before converting your blueprint into reality, it is necessary to have a budget plan.
- Usually, a website is first advised for any business and then asked to go for a mobile application by any mobile application development company.
- Going for the mobile web is cheaper as compared to a mobile app as it one has to develop it for separate platforms
- All your content will be on a single interface with a mobile website without much efforts and less cost.
Inference: Thus, here we can conclude that a mobile web, in this case, is recommended for people having a tight pocket.
Thus the score is Mobile App : 0 Mobile Web: 1
- First, ask a question to yourself. Are you patient enough to wait for a site to load?
- In this troubled world of the digital era, we are expecting a fast-paced website that will be loading in a few nanoseconds.
- Mobile apps are faster than the mobile web in this factor.
- But a few points to remember, mobile apps are time-consuming during installation.
- Another factor is offline access which mobile apps facilitate. But mobile web always requires a good internet connection.
Inference: Thus we can infer that mobile apps are faster.
Thus the score is: Mobile App: 1 Mobile Web: 1
- A mobile app is more interactive and allows you to access all other features on your phone which a mobile web cannot.
- But a mobile website if up to that mark as per expectation can sometimes relieve you in this aspect.
- Another aspect to pin is user-experience with user-friendly features for the users so that your app or website doesn’t annoy them.
Inference: Here in terms of accessibility 80% mobile app is winning and 20% mobile web. But a mobile app is more recommendable as installation may take time, but the patience pays you off later.
The score is: Mobile app: 2 Mobile Web: 1
- A mobile application is costlier to build as compared to maintain a mobile web.
- Mobile apps are platform dependent. Therefore, if you are planning to build an app, then you need to decide a platform else you need to spend a lot as you need to target all set of audience who are using a different OS.
- Mobile web being responsive thus wins this battle as it works on all platforms and fits your pocket too.
Inference: Thus, we can say that the Mobile web is more cost-effective as compared to the mobile app.
Score: Thus, we can say- Mobile app: 2 Mobile Web: 2
- Mobile apps have an interactive user interface.
- Mobile websites have a static and navigational interface.
- A mobile-friendly website resolves many usability issues.
- Due to its platform specific feature, the mobile app has a better mechanism.
- But this again depends on the need of the business. A game development company will opt for the mobile app, not for the mobile web.
Inference: Thus for business who are into game development or e-commerce or food and beverages domain, a mobile app is an ideal choice. But apart from this, the mobile web can’t be given entirely a total ‘No.’
Score: Mobile app: 3 Mobile web: 2
6. Interaction whether online/offline
- While talking about communication, it entirely depends on what type of audience you are targeting for your business.
- If you want that your customers should be able to access information irrespective of their location and time, the mobile app is the best option.
- Your services won’t be expiring for the customers in terms of its availability to them.
- Dictionary app can be accessed offline too irrespective of their location. Therefore, your app is not internet dependent.
Inference: Mobile App Development is a better option in terms of accessibility as mobile apps can be accessed offline irrespective of the location of the user.
Score: Mobile app: 4 Mobile Web: 2
- Mobile apps are not a good option for affiliate and referral marketing. Mobile web plays a crucial role in leveraging marketing strategies.
- Since you always have to cope up with the latest SEO trends, one of the constant revision factors of SEO that one can handle only through mobile web.
Inference: Mobile Web steals the show in terms of SEO ranking and affiliate and referral marketing.
Score: Mobile App: 04 Mobile Web: 03
8. Traditional Mass Media
- Traditional marketing like newspapers, radio, televisions, etc., work for a mobile app as well as mobile web.
- But the winner is a mobile web from the marketing point of view.
- If you have planned to have an application for this, then you need to include the budget for advertisement and sound marketing.
Inference: Mobile web is more preferable for traditional mass media.
Score: Thus, Mobile App: 04 and Mobile Web: 04
Thus to summarize the comparison between a Mobile app and Mobile web, a table pointing the differentiation factors are as shown below.
8. Future Scope of Mobile Apps and web
There is a broad scope of mobile application development in 2019. They are listed below:
- Wearable Devices
- IoT and mobile connected smart objects
- Location Sensing
- Mobile experience user design
- Progressive Web App
- Enterprise Mobile Management
The scope of mobile web development has been the buzz now-days. The following are the scopes for mobile web development:
- Improved User Experiences.
- A typical Web irrespective of location.
- Adaption of different content as per the mobile devices.
Improved User Experiences.
A standard Web irrespective of location.
Adaption of different content as per the mobile devices.
I have listed three points for the checklist of any Mobile App Design – Basics of App Development, Mobile Web, Pros and Cons of Mobile Web, Difference between the two. But what about the best one out of the two? The answer is both.
The reason behind this is your business requirement where one of these two fits. Having both for your business for better outreach is ideal.
Still, if you need a categorization, I think startups should go with Mobile website as they need to establish themselves in the market.
E-commerce, Game development companies, and other companies in this vertical should go for a mobile app for better user experience and tailored fit results.
Disclaimer: We at eSparkBiz Technologies have created this blog with all the consideration and utmost care. We always strive for excellence in each of our blog posts and for that purpose, we ensure that all the information written in the blog is complete, correct, comprehensible, accurate and up-to-date. However, we can’t always guarantee that the information written in the blog correct, accurate or up-to-date. Therefore, we always advise our valuable readers not to take any kind of decisions based on the information as well as the views shared by our authors. The readers should always conduct an in-depth research before making the final decision. In addition to these, all the logos, 3rd part trademarks and screenshots of websites & mobile apps are the property of the individual owners. We’re not associated with any of them.