Is Flutter Framework Suitable For Cross-Platform App Development?
Ever since technology has exceeded humanity, imagination has become more important than knowledge. The two leading mobile app development platforms that are always the talk of the town are iOS and Android.
Every platform needs a different type of coding for application development. Thus this becomes a problem statement for the mobile app development companies.
The solution to this problem statement was only cross-platform development. Possibilities are elevating with an increase in cross-platform development.
Everyone desires for an application that would be holding the capacity to run on various platforms.
Such cross-platform app development facilitates one-time programming desired to be supported by iOS, Android or Windows. Therefore, it is gaining all the attention of the developers because of its extraordinary features and tools.
Cross-platform development hosts few favorite tools like Xamarin by Microsoft, React Native by Facebook and PhoneGap from Adobe. As a coin has two sides, each of these tools has advantages and disadvantages varying from each other.
Since technology is all about improvement for making life more comfortable, developers are always preferring to update themselves so that they can develop apps more efficiently thus saving loads of time.
Thus the constant updating not only resulted in improvement but also gave rise to Flutter. February 2018, Flutter was embarked by Google at an event.
Ever since Flutter came into the light, it has been attracting public attention. The exchange of views for Flutter Vs. React Native will, however, revolve the minds of the developers since it ushered.
Top 8 Innovative Ways To Boost Conversion Rate For WooCommerce Store
- What is Flutter? What factors have developers at Google worked on?
- What is Flutter good for? Where does it fit and where it doesn’t?
- Who can opt for Flutter?
- Developing an App with Flutter-Pros and Cons
- How Much Does it Cost to Build a Flutter Mobile Application?
- What is the Future of Flutter?
- Why think of Flutter over other existing frameworks?
1. What is Flutter? What factors have developers at Google worked on?
“Flutter targets the sweet spot of mobile application development: Performance and platform integrations of native mobile, with high-velocity development and multi-platform reach of portable UI toolkits,”
Product Manager, Google,
Flutter is proving its uniqueness.
Using Flutter as a Dart language for programming, the features that were missing in the previous cross-platform development tools were made-up and launched in 2018 by Google. The apps built with Flutter hold the capacity to run on Android, iOS and Google Fuchsia-another platform developed by Google.
Since Flutter is becoming the talk of the developers due to its sui generis, the developers at Google are working nicety before putting hands on it for general use.
Here is a list of few things they have worked on:
- Holding capacity to support more Firebase APIs.
- Fixing Bugs.
- Improvement in Documentation
- Support for Windows.
- Inflation of Engine Performance.
- Tools for Android Studio and Visual Studio Code.
- Support for language variation.
- All types of developers have access.
- It comes with inline videos, charts, and ads.
2. What is Flutter good for? Where does it fit and where it doesn’t?
This question has been wheeling around ever since Flutter has been making a name for itself. Before going for new technology for building a mobile app, the first thing that comes into mind is whether it would support or not.
Let us first see where flutter would not fit as a choice.
- Progressive Web Apps
- The requirement of uncommon native libraries
- Communication between application and hardware via Bluetooth.
Let’s see in details each of these points
- Progressive Web Apps: The need for this type of apps is to be small.
- The requirement of different native libraries: This complicates the process as Flutter is new and doesn’t have all the native libraries. The only solution is to make platform channels which is time-consuming.
- Communication between application and hardware via Bluetooth: This is time-consuming as this feature is built separately for both Android and iOS and then added to the Flutter app.
Heading towards where Flutter fits in:
- Flutter is used to build apps which are more significant than native apps.
- Flutter helps in building native apps from a web view and thus brought forth as a website as the final result.
- Focusing only on high-performance, Flutter offers greater flexibility.
- Highly efficient user interfaces.
- Flutter supports Material Design(for Android app development).
3. Who can opt for Flutter?
If you are looking to opt for Flutter but are confused, this might help you to decide:
- Web Application Developers who are giving a thought to change and get into mobile application development without the expense of learning several Native Platform Languages.
- As a business, if you are looking to reach more users but with a single investment, then Flutter is for you!
- Consistency and Vision are two factors that come along with the principles the Designers follow. Thus if they are looking to have their app delivered with these two factors, Flutter is an excellent choice for them.
4. Developing an App with Flutter-Pros and Cons
Flutter being the new Actor in the market, it hasn’t been too long for providing the user experience.
Few developments where Flutter could show its talent was Adwords App and Alibaba App. The result of these apps is quite fascinating and exciting.
As per the study from various sources, developing an app with Flutter is very pocket-friendly and fast. Some noted advantages or Pros of looking towards Flutter for mobile app development are as follows:
- Hot Reload
- Perfect for MVP
- Less Coding
- Cross-Platform Development
- Different themes
Let us bellyflop each point into details.
1. Hot Reload
What makes the life of the developer easy?
The developer can view the changes as soon as the application is modified. It not only saves time but also makes the process easy.
Hot reload feature allows developers to modify a running application without ceasing the app, rebuild and reuse.
It not only increases development efficiency but also make it easier to work. With the help of fast iteration, there is a boost in the efficiency.
2. Perfect for MVP
Are you interested in building an application faster?
Then you should choose Flutter to build your application quickly.
The reason is:
- Less time consumption.
- It builds the native looking application for iOS and Android.
- Investors can get a view of your MVP.
- No time wastage in developing apps for two different platforms.
3. Less Coding
- The relation of Flutter and Dart has gained importance only after the introduction of Flutter.
- Dart is an object-oriented programming language where a new program need not be coded entirely due to hot reload.
- Flutter has come with two features declarative and reactive due to its similarity with React Native.
4. Cross-Platform Development
Since Flutter is a cross-platform development tool, coding comes only once. This code is then used in other platforms as well. Flutter is exclusively for Google’s Fuchsia platform. Android is predicted to be replaced by Fuchsia in the future.
You should hire Developers in NYC to know more about the Flutter framework. He/She will be able to guide you with all the features.
- Flutter app development has many widgets with properties like natural look, swiftness, and customization.
- If you are willing to make your app interesting, then Widgets are necessary.
- Customizing widgets can be an added advantage
- Unification of widgets for all platforms and layouts.
6. Different themes
- You might have observed many times that the themes of the same app are different for iOS and Android.
- If you think that the difference is in the theme color and design, then you need to get a reality check that it’s more than that.
- Only Mobile Limited
- Fewer Libraries
- There is no TV Support
- No support for CI
1. Only Mobile Limited
- Using Flutter to build an app means it is exclusively just for mobile.
- Flutter is yet to be available for web browsers.
- Therefore keeping these things in mind, your decision regarding development platform becomes crucial.
- Another matter of concern is flexibility. If you are expecting maximum flexibility, then Flutter is not for you.
2. Few libraries
- Flutter lacks in having a wide range of libraries.
- It doesn’t have many useful libraries.
- A developer has to build his libraries as per the need only when a developer needs unavailable libraries.
- It is time-consuming though.
3. There is no TV Support
- Flutter is not available for Apple TV or Android TV.
4. No Support For CI
- Flutter doesn’t allow continuous integration support.
- If developers want this to work, they need to set up toolkits.
5. How Much Does it Cost to Build a Flutter Mobile Application?
If we talk about speed for developing an app with Flutter, then it takes 45-50% less time as compared to building apps for Android and iOS separately.
Talking about how much does hiring a Mobile App Development Company costs, it entirely depends on the hours it requires.
If you want to build an app with Flutter that works on both iOS and Android, it takes approximately 260-290 hours.
Individually, the same app for iOS will take approximately 250 hours whereas for Android the same app will take about 250 hours.
For determining the cost, multiply the value per hour, and you will get the estimation of your project.
Since Flutter is fast for development, it saves much money. So if you have a tight budget, then Flutter can be a perfect choice.
6. What is the Future of Flutter?
Whenever a mobile application has to be built separately for iOS and Android, there is always a compromise between quality and productivity. To dissolve this issue, Google decided to introduce Flutter as one of the cross-platform development frameworks.
Flutter has kissed fame in a brief time. In other words, Flutter has a very bright future in development. Flutter Beta 3 was also launched by Google with added features and functions thus being more potent than the previous version.
As far as its potential is concerned, Flutter is expected to bridge the gap between quality and productivity that one has to compromise when individually developed for platforms like iOS and Android. If Flutter achieves this target, then surely it will change the face of mobile app development.
7. Why think of Flutter over other existing frameworks?
In this article, we, being as a Flutter app development company, tried to cover the important points that need to be focused while choosing Flutter for your mobile app development. If you want to know more about this cross-platform development process, you can get in touch with us.
Disclaimer: We at eSparkBiz Technologies have created this blog with all the consideration and utmost care. We always strive for excellence in each of our blog posts and for that purpose, we ensure that all the information written in the blog is complete, correct, comprehensible, accurate and up-to-date. However, we can’t always guarantee that the information written in the blog correct, accurate or up-to-date. Therefore, we always advise our valuable readers not to take any kind of decisions based on the information as well as the views shared by our authors. The readers should always conduct an in-depth research before making the final decision. In addition to these, all the logos, 3rd part trademarks and screenshots of websites & mobile apps are the property of the individual owners. We’re not associated with any of them.