Healthcare is often considered to be the most conservative industries in terms of technical amendments. However, today more and more practitioners and health services providers acknowledge the importance of technological innovations in healthcare. Modern medicine cannot stay in the previous century anymore.
What is driving the current healthcare trends?
As the healthcare industry is going through a transformation, so to succeed in this increasingly competitive environment, organizations need to make significant investments in processes and technologies. It needs to be done to cut down costs, increase access to care delivery and improve medical care.
The costs of providing care and the outcome of this care are driving the current healthcare trends. Since healthcare providers face revenue pressures, they are adopting new care delivery models and shifting to outpatient services to reduce administrative and supply costs.
Today people are already used to electronic medical records or online registration services. But the technical progress in the healthcare goes far beyond, and according to forecasts, 2019 is going to become a significant turning point in the adoption of new technologies in medicine, and by 2020, the digital health market is expected to reach $206 billion.
Various analyst firms and industry experts such as Frost & Sullivan, Forrester, Deloitte, IBM Institute, and IDC predict that the following ten medical technology trends will be the key enablers to solve the healthcare challenges. Without further delay, let us look at the top 10 emerging trends in healthcare 2019 and beyond
Top 10 emerging trends in healthcare 2019 and beyond
- Artificial Intelligence
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- Big Data
- Data Science
- Cloud Computing
Now, let’s proceed to further observations:
Telemedicine enhances healthcare by making it easier for patients to get access to specialists. It is essential especially in rural or remote areas.
According to forecasts, the global telemedicine market is expected to be approximately $113.1 billion by 2025.
So far, video chat platforms are dominating this sectort. Patients make video calls to the physician over the internet which entitles them not only to describe the symptoms but also show visible signs. But this is not the only use of telemedicine.
Cons of technology & Telemedicine in the field of Medicine:
Technology provides much better conditions for treating and monitoring chronic diseases compared to regular visits to the doctors. It diminishes stress for the patients and is more convenient and cost-effective.
Telemedicine is improving diagnosing and treatment by making it easier for patients to get access to a specialist. The accessibility of electronic records has also made it simpler to forward documents to specialists.
Telemedicine in Practice :
Mobile Application Development Company can also benefit from telemedicine. For example, Adecco, a global staffing company, in a partnership with American Well, has put into practice telemedicine services for its staff. As of June 2018, 44% of Adecco’s employees have effectively enrolled in the telemedicine. So far, tele-health has already saved the company $ 230,000.
— Heather S Lavoie (@HSLavoie) January 17, 2019
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is gaining massive momentum in medicine and healthcare. The ability to process significant amounts of data provided by AI together with continually improving image recognition function has given rise to various ground-breaking health technologies.
Following are several directions in which medical AI is going to be used in 2019 and beyond :
1. Medical diagnosis. AI applications considerably improve the speed and accuracy of diagnosis. Therefore it is not wrong to say:
- AI tools help doctors to analyze survey data more quickly and accurately, thus allowing them to be more accurate with diagnoses.
- AI-based image recognition diagnostic devices are already in use to diagnose dermatological and optical deviations, diabetes and other diseases which cause appearance changes.
2. Medical product development. The procedure of research and development of new drugs is prolonged and luxurious too. Pharmacists need to take into account hundreds of variables starting from financial appropriateness and finishing ranging to legal and ethical issues. Today, You can use AI in:
- To safely discover chemical and biological interactions in the drug discovery process based on early-stage clinical data.
- The most prominent examples here are IBM Watson and GNS Healthcare AI system that is used in search of cancer treatment.
3. Workflow optimization. AI helps to computerize repetitive tasks such as routine paperwork, scheduling, and time-sheet entry. These are the tasks which the medical staffs often consider to be the most tiresome and frustrating cause of their monotony.
Few Statistics to look at :
Individual research and analysis on AI in healthcare reveal that the AI health market shows explosive growth, from $600 million in 2014 to an estimated $6.6 billion in 2021 with a CAGR of 40%.
According to recent data from a PwC survey, a majority of consumers are willing to consider non-traditional options for managing their health and substitute the care of human clinicians with the use of AI technologies:
Many companies — from start-ups to major players like IBM, Google, and Microsoft — already have their own AI healthcare projects and are investing in this area more and more.
3.Internet of Things (IoT)
The Internet of Things (IoT) refers to devices connected via the Internet. This technology has seen significant growth recently.
In healthcare, you can use IoT for remote monitoring of the patient’s or the client’s health through wearables (including ECG and EKG monitors), smart sensors, and mobile apps. It is expected that by 2020, there will be30 billion IoMT devices worldwide.
Role of IoT in Healthcare :
- IoT tools help clinicians to monitor patients at home or on the go from any corner of the world.
- Connected devices are leveraged to observe at-risk patients ensure they take medication, measure glucose level and blood pressure, set reminders and alerts.
- One of the recently introduced devices of this kind is Apple Watch series four which can monitor heart rate, calm breath, detect falls, count calories and so on depending on the apps installed.
- Some of the devices, like fitness trackers, correspond to healthcare apps for patients in smart phones which collect and display vital statistics.
Why Blockchain in Healthcare?
There are always security-related risks associated with sharing information, especially in healthcare. And recent cyber attacks and data breaches only add concerns over health data security.
Blockchain technology is gaining more and more attention and can be a new approach and solution for protected patient data storage and transmission.
According to the IDC, by 2020, 20% of healthcare organizations will have moved beyond pilot projects and will be using blockchain for supply-chain management and patient identity.
Big Names Exploring Blockchain In Healthcare :
Some vendors are already exploring blockchain technology, applying it to EMR/EHR systems like the MedicalChain platform or MedRec system.
Major players like IBM, Intel, Microsoft, and Google have even separate units dedicated to developing blockchain products, including for healthcare.
Remember the Challenges :
Blockchain-based healthcare systems can be the solution to various challenges, such as data interoperability, integrity, security, portability, and many more.
Technological advances of recent years have led to the dramatic growth in the amount of medical and health data gathered about individuals. It makes new opportunities for health organizations in terms of extracting insights from these large figures.
Usage of Big Data :
- New integrated solutions can gather, process, interconnect, store and analyze data for any specific purposes.
- Healthcare professionals use big data to make the diagnosis process quicker and safer.
- Data analysis can also improve the effectiveness of a healthcare organization. The insurance companies also use big data to offer tailored insurance products.
- The most widespread usage of big data in healthcare is Electronic health record systems (EHR).
- It allows keeping a digital record of each person which includes medical history, demographics, laboratory results, diagnoses, etc. Big Data saves each document in one modifiable file, and this not only saves doctors from the devastating paperwork but also serves as a valuable statistical source.
- You can also use it for an intervention to provide warnings and reminders when a patient needs new medical examinations or procedures.
Virtual and augmented reality proposes significant advances to healthcare technologies from diagnosis to medical education and in treatment for a wide range of illnesses.
How is this working in Healthcare?
While with virtual reality, a person gets emerged in artificially created surroundings, augmented existence produces images that you can b layer on the top of real-world objects.
In both cases, the user can see the created imagery or text with the help of VR/AR glasses, while their hands stay free.
The primary applications of VR/AR technology today are :
Emergency response: Emergency responders allow finding crucial information without wasting time searching while giving first aid record critical information about the patients yet before they arrive at the hospital.
Prevention and diagnostics: VR/AR allows to different model conditions and manipulates the camera to compare the existing examination data with the examples from the database or replicate the effects of treatment.
Surgery: The most significant impact of VR in operation is in 3D reconstructions of organs in motion. This technology is useful especially when the surgeon needs to work in small spaces or under difficult conditions.
Education: VR/AR is a helpful tool which transforms medical education. For example, surgeons can rehearse the procedures and exercise precise steps. This will allow them to accomplish operations quicker and with minimal damage to tissues in real situations.
Some of the Best Mobile Application Development Companies in India & USA are investing a lot money in AR/VR technology nowadays.
There are numerous use cases which promise a more intuitive, instant and personalized transformation of the healthcare industry.
While the healthcare chatbot market is estimated to reach a level of +20% CAGR by 2030, you can see the effect on mHealth apps from the following year.
Working with a patient who has a chronic disease can generate a great deal of information, but discovering and compressing all the available data into something actionable can be a challenge.
Improvements in data science, however, have made it possible for practitioners to look into more profound insights. Such as a doctor can feed information gleaned from ancestry and family histories into AI-based systems. It helps him to come up with a statistically grounded profile and to diagnose problems faster.
Useful data can be derived from sources about the surrounding environment, allowing doctors to identify and address problems that are endemic to regions, families, trades and other population clusters.
Healthcare cloud computing market is going to grow to an approximate value of $44.93 Billion by the time we hit 2023.
While cloud computing had moved beyond the Enterprise world ages ago, the impact that it is bound to have on the healthcare industry is still relatively new but is huge.
There are various ways through which cloud technology can benefit healthcare.
Here is how the cloud is poised to transform the healthcare economy:
1. Software as a Service – Cloud can provide a range of on-demand services to the healthcare organizations that would give them fast access to business applications.
2. As Platform as a Service – Cloud can provide an enhanced security environment for the web-based service and cloud application deployment.
3. Infrastructure as a Service – The cloud solutions can offer on-demand computing and storage for a medical facility.
While the mobile app industry is not new to the concept of games based mHealth app, the audience has majorly been children who play basic level surgery games for entertainment. But now, the situation is changing.
Healthcare industry is now opening up to the inception of gamification in the different areas of health and care. Games are now finding their place even in Medical Training, Rehabilitation Games, Fitness Games, Participatory Health Games, and Emotional or Cognitive Games.
So these were the ten healthcare technology trends 2018 that are going to define Healthcare as well as Mobile Application Development market in 2019 and beyond. What we can hope to achieve at the back of these upcoming trends is a healthcare economy that is more preventive than reactive and more human focused than revenue focused.
Disclaimer: We at eSparkBiz Technologies have created this blog with all the consideration and utmost care. We always strive for excellence in each of our blog posts and for that purpose, we ensure that all the information written in the blog is complete, correct, comprehensible, accurate and up-to-date. However, we can’t always guarantee that the information written in the blog correct, accurate or up-to-date. Therefore, we always advise our valuable readers not to take any kind of decisions based on the information as well as the views shared by our authors. The readers should always conduct an in-depth research before making the final decision. In addition to these, all the logos, 3rd part trademarks and screenshots of websites & mobile apps are the property of the individual owners. We’re not associated with any of them.
You may also like:
- 6 Common Mobile Product Strategy Mistakes and How to Avoid Them
- Android or iOS ? Which has greater impact on Mobile App Development
- 7 Methods to improve the retention rate of your business app
- Android App Development services- How it is aiding in transforming ideas to reality.
- App Subscription Business Model- A new way to maintain apps sustainability
- How Can AR/VR Help You In Increasing The B2B Sales?
- Agile Methodology-Driven development is the new catch for Mobile App Development