Android or iOS ? Which has greater impact on Mobile App Development
If democracy has its definition of “For the people, by the people, of the people” then in the world of Mobile Apps Development, it should be “For the User, Of the User, By the Developer.” Like in a functional Democratic system, it is the people who are choosers that decide the legislators, similarly in the mobile app development world, it is the end users, and their behaviors towards the application decide “Android or iOS.”
In the real world, there are two systems (though lots of other methods are there, this is not a political science blog) of administration. First is Democracy and Second is Monarchy. Similarly, two systems administrate Mobile App Development world. First is Android based App Development and second is iOS-based App Development.
End users, their personality, sex and demography, country and continent, the saving and spending behaviors are some of the deciding factors in the development of a mobile based application.
“Trust the young people; trust this generation’s innovation. They’re making things, changing innovation every day. And all the consumers are the same: they want new things, they want cheap things, they want good things, If we can create these kind of things for consumers, they will come.”
– Jack Ma
1. Some Interesting Android & iOS User Behavior – Statistics
Did you know?
As per the reports of US Mobile App Reports, which has studied Mobile user behaviors in details and published its report in subsections like
- Android and iOS devices combined make up over 97% of the mobile OS market share.
- Android has the most significant global share in lower income areas and developing nations such as Asia and Africa.
- iOS users typically have higher income, higher education level, more engagement, and spend more per app.
- Apple, however, dominates the profit share despite Google’s global dominance of market share because the average iOS user is more active than the average Android User.
2. Effect of user behavior on app development
So, until here, we have gone through all the available statistics with the practice of Android and iOS App users. The next big question is how this behavior is going to affect the App Development Companies.
The Hybrid Concept – Had you heard about it?
With the growth of both Apple’s App Store and Google’s Play Store, the ideal development path a developer can take is hybrid development for both platforms. The majority of apps can work correctly across both, and it’s easier to build that way up front, instead of making for one app store and adding the other one over time.
To be more frank and precise with the app development process, if you choose one platform over the other, keep the following points straightforward:-
To Hit the Bull’s eye, first, see it
1. Clearly define the App’s goal: ask or pen down the clear and straight forward answer of “Why are you building this app and for whom?” A solution of this questing is going to save your time and money a lot because some experts and even app developers think that a clear vision of future customers serves the goal in a broader sense than just without defining it.
Are you planning to make an app “How to teach English” in ENGLAND? Seriously?
Practically an application can’t be iOS (financially not viable) based if it is meant to teach “how to speak English” because as the statistics say, most of the iOS-based application users are not from Asia or Africa (two major non – English speaking continents).
Similarly, an application that focuses on giving online classes of “How to cook Western Food and Pastry” is not going to get much attention in Asian or African countries (even though western food is getting popular there too), hence, in this case, iOS is an obvious choice.
Did you know?
5 Cents to 10,000 users make $500 whereas 50 dollars to 50 users make $250 only. Choose your path carefully
2. Choose what’s important: “5 cents from 10,000 users or 50 dollars from a user“. At the beginning of the app development or some strategists even think that Business Model should come before the App starts getting its face.
Do you have your Business Model, NOW?
It is the Business Model, aspiration of the developer, and most importantly The Product which affects the add development part. If the app is going to offer premium services like Business Coaching or Personal Coaching or High-end fitness goals, most likely the iOS way is better because, as the statistics put the fact that iOS users tend to buy more whereas Android app users tend the Save.
An emerging trend
An exciting trend nowadays is, those apps which were meant to offer premium and more personalized attention too, are shifting their ways towards masses. Initially, websites like Udemy were known for their bonus, and high quality but very expensive contents have changed their way towards high-quality content with low fees. So, it is essential to choose what’s necessary “5 cents from 1000 users or 50 dollars from 50 users”.
Did you know, Android users love Media Contents?
3. App Engagement & Retention: Behavior of iOS and Android-based app user is different in-app engagement too. While an iOS-based end user likes to engage with every leading content category, the Android-based app users are more significant in numbers in Media Content Category.
To know more about it in detail, you should hire an app developer from a reputed firm. See Here Now to know more about it.
The app developers should note this; You are going to say Thank You to me
Before developing a content-based app, the clearly defined answers should be noted down about questions like “is the general app content based Or Media based?” So, if the app is for media products, the Android way is the only viable option.
The startup is the new glamour
4. The Start-up Group: “Being a Startup in the 21st century is known as new Glamorous,” but the un-glamorous part of being a startup is lack of funds plus pressure to succeed. Lots of startups, in a hurry of establishing themselves, aggressively focus on the way which has more users, cheaper and very famous in new emerging markets like Asia and Africa.
If the app for a startup which is still trying to find its roots and new customer base, Android is an obvious choice which offers not only a vast number of users but also a diverse set of people using it.
Are you planning to develop a religious app for college students? WAIT
5. Age and Sex: Let’s imagine an app offering its services in fitness, weight loss, diet schedule, how to look slim, etc. are developed in the Operating System, not very famous among the youth. Don’t you think, it is the only sure shot way to fail?
Similarly, the apps offering financial services like Mutual Funds or different Tax Saving Schemes, Equities, Annuities, Retirement Plans should keep those youths in mind who have shown their inclination towards financial literacy.
Again, the apps based on religions, teachings, preaches, and philosophies are not going to succeed in college going students.
3. Who is the winner – Android or iOS
In a nutshell, today’s fast-paced environment provides a great developmental opportunity to both Android and iOS, but the Android is the winner (even though the fact is iOS is winner profit wise) in terms of easy to use, mass following and being cheaper version.
Even the statistics establish the dominance of Android over iOS. As of 2018, Android controls about 88% of the mobile device market worldwide, and Apple owns most of the rest. The number of Android users has grown from 1.8 billion devices in September 2015 to 2.7 billion by the end of 2017 whereas iOS still needs to cover a whole way.
So, if the question still arises as “which has a greater impact on Android App development? Android or iOS user behavior?” my simple answer would be, it’s Android’s user behavior decides “who will rule the world of app development.”
Also, different psychological and demographic changes will bring new changes in the years to come. Even though, Android is a clear winner as of now but still unclear and unpredictable for how many years it is going to maintain its supremacy over iOS. Psychologically. Android users feel it a moment of accepting new and expensive technology like iOS; the same is not right with Apple users.
The fast, economic developments of Asian and African economies is going to make people stronger in terms of their purchasing power that may cause a point of concern for Android.
The game or battle for becoming one of the Top Mobile Application Development Companies is not over yet. With new emerging trend and shift of dynamics of the market will take which turn can’t be predicted even with the help of statistics and great analytics tools. But one thing is for sure, the two arch-rivals, Google and Apple are not going to lose their hold easily. Till then, let’s wait and watch.
Disclaimer: We at eSparkBiz Technologies have created this blog with all the consideration and utmost care. We always strive for excellence in each of our blog posts and for that purpose, we ensure that all the information written in the blog is complete, correct, comprehensible, accurate and up-to-date. However, we can’t always guarantee that the information written in the blog correct, accurate or up-to-date. Therefore, we always advise our valuable readers not to take any kind of decisions based on the information as well as the views shared by our authors. The readers should always conduct an in-depth research before making the final decision. In addition to these, all the logos, 3rd part trademarks and screenshots of websites & mobile apps are the property of the individual owners. We’re not associated with any of them.