You have about 50 milliseconds to create a good first visual impression before website visitors. Astonishing, isn’t it? But luckily, there is nothing to stress about since you can develop a robust website design easily. The only thing you need to do is explore some top frontend frameworks that’ll remedy the obstruction and develop the best UI (User Interface) for your site.
Such frameworks allow web developers to use pre-written code to speed up and simplify web development. They have been designed to assist developers in making more polished and efficient products and offer a strong foundation for creating web apps.
In 2023, the frontend frameworks will be playing an even bigger role in the web development process as they’ll help developers keep pace with the ever-changing web development space. However, with so many frameworks available, choosing the right one can be challenging.
Thus, we have compiled this article that discusses the ten best front end frameworks you should consider for building an interactive and attractive UI.
Here is the list of Top Frontend Frameworks For Web Development
One of the unique features of React is the VDOM (Virtual Document Object Model) and how well it handles document manipulation and access. Additionally, React has a vast active community, allowing developers to access a broad range of support and resources.
- React lets you reuse components in your code. That makes collaboration and reusing these components easy in other areas of the app.
- The use of VDOM helps in the app’s seamless performance and ascertains that even a high-loading app has a fast-rendering speed.
- It boosts productivity. New changes or modifications in the app can be made easily.
- The React Developer Tools provide developers with advanced tools for optimizing their work.
- React does not offer backend solutions.
- The developers often face challenges in understanding the concepts related to JSX during the initial stage of working with React.
- The constant component updates make it difficult for developers to maintain accurate documentation.
When to use React?
React is mainly used for creating PWAs (progressive web apps) and single-page web apps. However, it’s the go-to framework for developing interactive UI for an application in less time, as the components can be reused easily.
When not to use React?
PayPal, Netflix, Groupon, Uber, Walmart, Microsoft, eBay, Facebook, Instagram, Google, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Dropbox, etc.
eSparkBiz standout as the Prominent ReactJS Development Company offering intuitive User Interface with the best approach by leveraging the key ReactJS Libraries and Developer tools. Connect with our Experts to get started !
Angular: Typescript-Based library for Interactive Web Apps
Angular is the only transcript-based framework that makes a spot in our best frontend frameworks list. Created and maintained by Google, Angular is a complete solution when it comes to developing complex web apps. It offers improved technology and is a powerful template language.
Angular is generally used to develop web and mobile apps. Besides, it can also be used in the development of multi-page and single-page apps.
- Angular’s in-built functionality allows real-time upgrade adjustments in both model and view. That lowers the room for any error.
- Components can be reused however required as the developers can decouple the interdependent components using dependency injectors.
- It reduces the need to use a lot of code as most significant features, like two-way binding, are offered by default.
- A big developer community uses Angular worldwide, making it easy for developers to seek help and support if they face an issue.
- You can integrate Angular with an array of third-party tools.
- Dynamic apps can suffer sometimes and might not perform per expectation.
- The wide variety of built-in functionalities and features makes learning the Angular framework a little complex.
When to use Angular?
Angular is the ideal option for dynamic and enterprise-based apps because of its two-way binding feature that allows web browser-based apps to augment.
When not to use Angular?
Opting for Angular to create small-scale apps wouldn’t be the best choice as you won’t use its resources at their true potential. It will be a complete misuse of resources and time. Moreover, avoiding complex frameworks such as Angular is best if you have a small developer team.
Xbox, Forbes, Gmail, Mixer, Blender, PayPal, Upwork, Deutsche Bank, Microsoft Office, Santander, etc.
VueJS: Modern Framework for Single-page applications
Next on our list of the best front end frameworks is VueJS, a straightforward and consistent framework. VueJS is not as complex as Angular, making it extremely easy to use and learn. Besides, it’s small in size and, like Angular, provides two-way data binding. Additionally, VueJS also offers component-based and Visual DOM programming.
You can easily build small and dynamic web apps using VueJS. However, in spite of being versatile, the framework is not that popular among large-scale companies. That’s because big-scale companies trust Angular for building enterprise-based apps. But still, VueJS continues to establish a strong market base despite a small number of takers in Silicon Valley.
- VueJS’s simple syntax makes it easy for developers to get started with it.
- The framework comprises detailed and extensive documentation for beginners.
- VueJS has a positive effect on the app or website’s SEO.
- It offers flexibility to developers in designing app structures.
- There is a language barrier as most of the plugins in VueJS are written in Chinese.
- Though it offers many features, VueJS is still not as huge as Angular or React.
- VueJS is in a growing stage still and thus doesn’t have a big community.
When to use VueJS?
VueJS is best for those projects that require greater flexibility. Developers can design every component from scratch, allowing them to design dynamic apps easily.
When not to use VueJS?
VueJS is not ideal for apps that need stable components. Besides, it does not have a support community where one can seek guidance in case of any hurdles.
Alibaba, Reuters, 9gag, Xiaomi, GitLab, Passionate People, Trivago, FindlayWebTech, BridgeU, Nintendo, Grammarly, Adobe, etc.
EmberJS is among the best front end frameworks that assist in creating modern UIs for cross-platform, desktop and mobile apps. It resembles Angular with its two-way binding feature and component-focused functionality.
Developed in 2011, EmberJS is one of the most difficult frameworks to learn. However, it is still utilized by many large-scale companies as it lets developers create complex web and mobile apps easily. When using EmberJS, you can depend on its ever-growing community of talented developers to always improve and release new features.
- EmberJS is one of the top frontend frameworks when it comes to speed. It is among the fastest framework available in the market.
- It supports two-way data binding.
- The apps developed using EmberJS are reusable.
- It helps developers keep well-written and proper documentation.
- It is one of the most difficult frameworks to learn due to its conventional and rigid structure.
- EmberJS is a heavy framework for small-scale apps.
- It allows little or no customization.
- Working on EmberJS can be annoying sometimes, as it has a complex syntax.
When to use EmberJS?
Developers creating modern apps with a rich UI can use EmberJS. The framework is a complete front-end solution for big-scale projects since it offers useful binding, ready configuration, and personalized properties for rendering the page.
When not to use EmberJS?
EmberJS is not the best choice of framework for creating small apps, as most of its resources will not even be used. Besides, if your developer team size is small, try avoiding EmberJS as it might have a high initial cost. Also, this framework is not preferable for developing a simple UI.
Netflix, Tinder, Twitch, Groupon, DigitalOcean, Square, Accenture, Chipotle, Apple Music, Nordstrom, Blue Apron, LinkedIn, Yahoo!, PlayStation Now, Vine, etc.
One of the best aspects of JQuery is its development into an enhanced version of itself every day. As its API works across various browsers, JQuery helps simplify tasks such as animation, Ajax, document manipulation, and traversal. Besides, with the recent JQuery Mobile development, developers can create mobile apps now, which wasn’t possible initially.
- Even those having little knowledge of programming language can use JQuery easily.
- JQuery has a flexible DOM that helps in removing or adding components.
- It simplifies sending HTTP requests.
- Despite being simple, JQuery can be used for deploying dynamic apps.
- JQuery has a relatively slow working speed.
- Other than JQuery, there are several advanced alternatives available out there.
- JQuery’s lightweight interface might cause issues in the long run.
When to use JQuery?
When not to use JQuery?
Twitter, Uber, JPMorgan Chase, Walt Disney, Edward Jones, Wells Fargo, QTC Management, etc.
Svelte: Modern Approach towards Building Rich User Interfaces
That enables this framework to be 10x times faster and more responsive than other frameworks like React and Angular. However, learning Svelte can be challenging due to its distinct working style. But the time spent on Svelte can provide amazing results for those who intend to dive deeper into this framework.
- Svelte is an SEO-optimized framework.
- It offers faster performance than the other frameworks.
- It is responsive, scalable, and lightweight.
- Svelte requires minimal coding.
- Svelte has a small, limited ecosystem and offers limited tools.
- It still needs time to create a strong support community.
- It’s not one of the most popular front end frameworks among developers yet.
When to use Svelte?
Svelte is ideal for small-scale projects being developed by a small developer team. Besides, it is a good choice for beginners because of its less load time and simple syntax. That helps speed up the app or web product.
When not to use Svelte?
The developers working on large-scale apps or websites should avoid Svelte. This framework provides limited tooling and is, therefore, not widely used. Besides, you might not be able to find the help you need in later development stages owing to its small support community.
Cashfree, Philips BlueHive, GoDaddy, Chess, HealthTree, Razorpay, Rakuten, Capital One, GoGuardian, etc.
BackBoneJS: Structuring Client-Side Web Applications
BackBoneJS is one of the top frontend frameworks for creating small-sized, single-page apps. It follows the MVC architecture that helps with swift app development. The MVC View allows you to implement logic in the components easily.
BackBoneJS has been correlated with various engines such as Moustache and underscoreJS. If you create an app using BackBoneJS, you might also want to utilize tools like Chaplin, Marionette, Handlebars, or Thorax to make the most of this framework.
It is a fast-growing and versatile framework and an amazing choice for both backend and frontend development. Its REST API offers a smooth synchronization between frontend and backend, letting you utilize the framework on either of the two.
- BackBoneJS is an easy-to-learn framework for new developers.
- It offers over 100 extensions.
- There are detailed, well-organized tutorials available.
- The framework stores the data as models rather than storing them in DOM.
- BackBoneJS doesn’t offer two-way data binding.
- Developers might have to write more code.
- It requires constant upgradation with ever-evolving technology.
- Its architecture can be confusing at times.
When to use BackBoneJS?
BackBoneJS is a good choice for creating apps that need dynamic management of updates, constant server synchronization, etc. You can reuse and update the codes easily.
When not to use BackBoneJS?
BackBoneJS is not preferable if you aim to have several features in a single framework. However, you can download plugins and extensions for extending the features of BackBoneJS.
Walmart, Uber, Racepoint Global, Pinterest, AMC Networks Inc, Reddit, McCorkell & Associates Pty. Limited, Master Card, Roblox, LinkedIn, University of California, etc.
Semantic UI: Feature-rich Framework for intuitive User Interfaces
Though Semantic UI is relatively new in the frameworks zone, it is still making its way to being one of the best front end frameworks. The simplicity, usability, and seamless UI are the major reason for its success. Semantic UI incorporates self-explanatory organic codes, which makes it easy for new developers to work with it.
Moreover, Semantic UI follows a simple app and web development process because of its collaboration with several 3rd-party libraries. That makes this framework an incredible development platform.
- Semantic UI includes simple code language.
- It offers UI-rich and responsive components.
- It has an amazing collection of themes.
- Semantic UI offers unique functionality and a flexible customization system.
- Semantic UI is still not widely used, making it challenging to find support and help.
- It demands competency in designing customized configurations.
When to use Semantic UI?
Semantic UI is an incredible platform for designers and developers who want lightweight, seamless, responsive UIs.
When not to use Semantic UI?
Semantic UI is not advised for developers not experienced in creating customizations sans depending on ready-made functionalities.
Accenture, Snapchat, Kmong, Aumni, Digital Services, Modanisa, Ovrsea, etc.
Foundation: Responsive Framework to achieve Mobile-first Approach
Although Foundation is a framework meant for experienced developers, it’s fruitful and impressive to work around it once you’re well-acquainted with the framework. Foundation was created by Zurb to develop enterprise-level apps and websites.
Foundation offers GPU acceleration for smooth animations and quick mobile rendering facilities. Besides, it also provides heavy sections for larger devices. Foundation is the right combination of components any developer desires. Leading tech giants like Microsoft and eBay have been using this framework successfully.
- Foundation has features enabling the development of appealing and exclusive websites.
- It provides flexibility in utilizing grids.
- It offers customized UX for different media and devices.
- Foundation has limited community and support forums because of its complex design.
- It faces tough competition from other popular frontend frameworks.
- It is not an easy-to-learn framework for beginners.
When to use Foundation?
Foundation is one the best frontend frameworks for developers with experience and knowledge of it. It’s an ideal framework for developing a mobile-friendly and visually appealing website or app with a customized UX.
When not to use Foundation?
Fresher or beginner developers should skip using Foundation as changing the code is challenging, which might create difficulties during development.
eBay, Firefox, Harvard University, etc.
Preact: Ideal Library for Progressive Web Apps
Though React is one of the best front end frameworks, it has certain limitations. For this reason, the idea to create a small, lightweight framework with features similar to React arose. That’s how a mini variant of React, Preact, was discovered.
Both, Preact and React have similar APIs and utilize similar development techniques. However, Preact is much more compact than React and renders the fastest VDOM possible. That makes it a popular frontend framework choice for app development among developers.
Be it a new or existing project, this framework can help save you a lot of time owing to its powerful CLI. Besides, Preact is the best choice if you plan on developing a small app with no complicated integrations.
- Preact enhances performance while creating an app.
- It is small in size (3kb).
- You can learn and implement the codebase easily.
- It works perfectly with several libraries under React ecosystem.
- Preact is a responsive, quick, and well-designed frontend framework.
- Preact has a small support community owing to less popularity.
- It doesn’t support propTypes, one of React’s salient features.
- Preact works only with the ES6 components.
- It works with web browser API, offering no support for synthetic event use.
- It still doesn’t offer context support.
When to use Preact?
Preact is ideal for developers worried about performance, speed, and size. It’s the right choice for designing advanced apps with small widgets and simple UIs. If the website or app targets users wanting short load time, Preact makes the perfect option.
When not to use Preact?
Many companies still prefer React, so switching to Preact could cause issues as they may lose certain important React features. Besides, Preact shouldn’t be considered for developing heavy or complex apps as that’ll lead to downloading additional packages.
Etsy, Uber, Bing, IKEA, etc.
Factors to Consider when Shortlisting Front End Frameworks
Shortlisting the most popular front end frameworks is challenging as each framework is unique in its own way. Hence, here are three factors that can help make your decision-making process a little easier.
Kind of app or website you intend to develop:
You will need a web framework based on the type of website or app you want to develop. A small-scale vs. a large-scale app will require varied features; thus, you must pick a framework accordingly.
Easy and simple to use frameworks:
Developers work on numerous projects at a time, and therefore, they require simple frameworks. Hence, new developers opt for easy frameworks over complicated ones to be at par with the competition and offer better results to the clients.
The developers prefer to work with the best frontend frameworks that provide the finest features at cost-effective prices. Such frameworks help them generate more revenue and so are popular.
As you can see, all frontend web frameworks come with their pros and cons. If one framework works for a particular project, the other, although a good tool, could be completely inappropriate. Therefore, you should determine your project requirement before you begin the development and then choose a framework.
Get the Best Front End Frameworks from eSparkBiz
You could also seek help from a professional web development company, like eSparkBiz, to find the best front end frameworks for your project. You can hire front end developers with extensive frontend and backend coding experience, our team of 90+ pre-vetted developers ensures to provide you with the best possible solution for your development needs.
We are well-equipped to tap the true potential of such frameworks and create swift, realistic, and easy virtual experiences that amazes your users. Our profound understanding of distinct business needs helps us develop custom web UIs that provide greater value. It boosts your app’s scalability and interactiveness and gives you an edge over competitors.
So, are you all set for an impactful transformation?
Connect with us today to onboard the best frontend developers!