The race has already begun to give the best possible in the fastest way possible. Winner will be the one who will attract the masses with greatest graphics, user experience and most importantly Usability to humanity and the one who’ll stick to present monotonous technologies is going to lose out.
With the rise of mobile phones, there was a prediction that these devices are going to play a significant role in business, but even at that time, it was unclear, ‘to what extent.’ The real purpose of mobile devices is getting clear as technology and innovation is evolving day by day.
But is the road is filled with challenges and obstructions? Mobile phones and different mobile based applications have no doubt has made our lives better, but new challenges are also emerging.
These tiny devices were made to simplify the way we communicate, but the revolutionary invention in chips has changed its role drastically. The idea, customers or users are interacting with mobile phones, it is reasonable to say that these mobile devices are ‘e-commerce devices which can also communicate.’
In this blog, we’ll explore entirely new technology, PWA which stands for Progressive Web Application. The new technology expected to revolutionize the way we buy online, or seek the services of on-demand delivery apps.
“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic”
-Arthur C. Clarke
1. What is PWA?
— Bit (@bit_src) January 17, 2019
Progressive Web Application as the name suggests is a progressive form of web browsing, giving a mobile app like experience to users, having the ability to work in low connectivity or even offline, and also which can update itself time to time.
In more technical words, a regular web app is a website that looks and behaves as if it is a mobile app. It is designed to offer the end user to take advantage of native apps without the necessity to install it from the app store, be it is Google’s Play Store or from Apple’s iTunes.
2. Why Progressive Web Application?
Before going in detail of ‘why there is a need for progressive web application framework’ let’s explore some statistics regarding mobile uses.
Here is the detailed and exciting statistics in different categories of mobile uses for the period of 2016 to 2017
Percentage of traffic that comes from Mobile
- Percentage of people who use mobile devices grew from 57% to 63%.
- whereas the people who use desktops decreased from 43% to 37%
The study further says that the mobile’s lead in total traffic would continue to grow. The mobile traffic has already reached 63% (as per USA based data) which is likely to increase to around 70% of all traffic by the end of 2018.
Total time spent on site
The study says that, in the USA alone, entire 476 trillion visit – seconds were reported apart in 2016 while this time increase to 513 trillion visit – seconds in the year of 2017. Based on this data, here are the statistics of how much time spent on site
- Total time spent on site through mobile devices increased from 40% to 49%.
- The same time decreased from 60% to 51% on the desktop-based platform.
Average Bounce Rate
In this sector, the desktop platform is more favorable than its counterpart, e.g., mobile-based devices. While the mobile bounce rate in 2017 was significantly lower than in 2016, the desktop bounce rate did not change at all.
- The average bounce rate for mobile is 42% in 2017 which was 57% in 2016.
- The same is constant at 38% in both years i.g. In 2016 and 2017.
As the above statistics suggest, a considerable number of people are turning towards mobile instead of the web-based application. The tendency of end users turning towards mobile will lead the business to a mobile-based application. Many mobile Application Development Company is facing this situation.
Now since mobile internet use has already grown bigger than desktop internet use; it is evident that all the companies will need mobile – friendly websites more than ever.
But, merely turning or making available all the data, which means for desktop version in the form of mobile-based application is not going to solve the problem. A whole lot of this extensive data will slow down the mobile app and lead to average opening time to more than 18 seconds.
Moreover, apart from slowing down of mobile application, chances of ‘Your App’ getting downloads and installations are also bleak because there may be millions of apps on the play store.
The study suggests that 2/3rd end users spend their time on social media or entertainment apps. It leaves less than 50% of users will download the ‘Your mobile app’ among those millions of app present in play store.
After careful observation of challenges ahead for mobile-based apps, the concept of PWA came into the picture. Many top mobile app developers think that Progressive Web Application Framework is going to revolutionaries the way we treat mobile apps and it will bring the changes in the same line as mobile phone brought till date.
After looking at the above scenario, many of you would be tempted to build a PWA app for your business. For that purpose, you should Hire Mobile App Developer from eSparkBiz .
3. Benefits of Progressive Web Application
Less Data consumption
PWAs will consume a lot lesser data compared to Native Apps (Native App is those types of mobile apps which we use nowadays. For example FB app, twitter app, Google map app).
Lesser data consumption will lead to much faster-uploading speed which ultimately gives a great user experience. PWAs will also be proved great to those least developed countries where a majority of the population still lives below the poverty line, and the internet data rates are too high to afford for the massive percentage of the community.
Nothing lesser than Native Apps
Less data doesn’t mean that the contents of PWAs are lower than those of Native apps or some of the missing parts from Native Apps.
Developer design PWAs in such a way that it provides all the content in a much lighter form compare to others. The experience will be the same as native apps; just it will take much lesser time and data to install and upload.
Network issues? No Problem
The concept of IoT (Internet of Things or 5G) is making rounds in media houses in fast developing western countries as well as giant Asian economies such as China and India.
But still, the large percentage of the population of African subcontinent is relying on 2G internet services. For them, the fastest internet speed 3G is still a distant dream.
PWAs will be nothing lesser than a blessing in the countries having severe network issues. It is designed to work in the areas having very bleak or even signals.
The concept suits for all
The following web applications are designed to work or function on any device seamlessly. Be it mobile devices or desktop or on tablets, the same experience is guaranteed.
In today’s time, there are some mobile-based applications especially food deliver applications which do not function properly on the desktop version. PWA has removed this hurdle. Be ready to feel the same experience throughout all your devices.
Not tech savvy? No problem
Hey users, you do not have Google Play Store Account, no email id, no credit card? Ok, no problem. Nada. PWAs are here in your service to give you an unforgettable experience.
Still, a large number of people is there who are not tech savvy or find using their credit cards some vulnerable. For these types of people, PWAs came into play. For using PWAs, You don’t need to fulfill those these criteria in today’s world native apps.
Automatic Updating Policy
Progressive Web Applications auto-update itself from time to time. This auto-update policy makes AWS more light and ready for any impromptu action.
Better and Increased User Experience
The companies who already have launched their PWA version have experienced increased customer interaction. Feedback from customers is also encouraging making a clear way for PWA.
The significant increase in Conversion Rate
According to a 2017 study, the average conversion rate for e-commerce is just 1.6 percent which means that out of 1000 people visited the site, only 16 of them took your offers to buy.
The e-commerce companies, which have upgraded to PWA or following web application have seen a sharp rise in conversion rates. Companies like AliExpresshave saw the increase in conversion rates by 104% across all browsers whereas for iOS it rose by 82%.
The PWAs come with safety features of https. Full form of https is Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Secure is a secure version of HTTP, the protocol over which there’s data exchange between your browser and the website.
The ‘S’ at the end of HTTPS stands for ‘Secure’ which means all the communication between your browser and the website are encrypted.
4. Some Success Stories of Progressive Web Applications
Here are some success stories of all the e-commerce websites which have already updated themselves to PWA and celebrating the moment of success
- Treebo:– The Hotel chain industry, on its blog, shared the experience post launch of the PWA. For the company, after the adoption of PWA, there was no looking back. Their mobile website started showing results.
After PWA, there was an increase in user interaction and retention. Here are some positive experiences as shared by Treebo
- An increase in conversion rate by four times.
- Monthly conversion rate increased by 2.5 times.
- Average page load time for the first page is 1 second on the desktop and 1.5 seconds on mobile.
- Remarkable improvement in the page load speed has resulted in a direct, positive impact on conversion.
- OpenSooq:– The company provides communities in high-growth markets with Online marketplaces. Here is the experience of the company post-PWA:-
- 25% increase in Average time on page
- 260% more leads (call, comment, chat)
- 56% improvement in average page download time
- Tinder:– The PWA upgrade helped Tinder, a local meet up the app, to decrease its load time from 11.91 seconds to 4.69 seconds. Apart from this significant progress, the dating app is more than 90% smaller than its native app.
- Trivago:– The world’s leading hotel search engine upgraded itself to make PWA enabled is now available in 33 languages across 55 countries.
- Post PWA, the trivago site has been added by half a million people as their home screen.
- Engagement of users has increased by 150%
- Before the new, evolved site, trivago’s only means of re-engaging users was via email, but with push notification subscription now eclipsing email subscriptions.
- With an impressive 97% increase in click outs to hotel offers, PWA has significantly increased the engagement.
- Uber:– The world largest on-demand taxi service app has posted its improvements post-PWA on its official website. According to the post, the PWA compatible m.uber is offering an app like experience.
New technology has helped not only in better user experience but also it consumes as less as 50KB. Smaller size makes the app working even in 2G networks.
The way Progressive Web Application Development has already revolutionized the native mobile app, those days are not too far when PWA will write new rules of mobile e-commerce.
It offers a win-win situation for both companies as well as customers. While for companies, new technology offers a new and exciting source of business by increasing user experience and customer retention it is also benefiting consumers by decreasing load time & app size. For knowing more about PWA, You Could Try This Out.
Disclaimer: We at eSparkBiz Technologies have created this blog with all the consideration and utmost care. We always strive for excellence in each of our blog posts and for that purpose, we ensure that all the information written in the blog is complete, correct, comprehensible, accurate and up-to-date. However, we can’t always guarantee that the information written in the blog correct, accurate or up-to-date. Therefore, we always advise our valuable readers not to take any kind of decisions based on the information as well as the views shared by our authors. The readers should always conduct an in-depth research before making the final decision. In addition to these, all the logos, 3rd part trademarks and screenshots of websites & mobile apps are the property of the individual owners. We’re not associated with any of them.
You may also like:
- Android or iOS ? Which has greater impact on Mobile App Development
- 13 factors that affect your app development cost
- 5G Network: It’s Impact on Mobile Apps in 2019 and beyond
- 6 Common Mobile Product Strategy Mistakes and How to Avoid Them
- 7 Methods to improve the retention rate of your business app
- 22% Faster, A New Era Of Web Development-PHP 7.3 (New Features, Changing Functionalities)