Today, in this blog, we will be talking about what is the Python framework, top Python frameworks you can pick in 2023, and how the Python web framework can support application development.
Choosing the best Python Framework is sometimes skeptical because of its instructive and varying features. You may find it confusing to decide the best framework for Python while developing a complex web application.
Still, it makes your job easy after choosing the Python web application framework because it is easy to learn, develop more functions with minimum lines of coding. You can hire python developer to take such advantages.
Most Popular Python Web Frameworks
Django is a full-stack Python framework and available as open-source. It combines the required features of a web app by default instead of providing them as dedicated libraries. Django is popular and the best Python web app framework for its amazing features.
By enabling dedicated web app developers to apply all these wonderful features, Django allows creating and delivering highly scalable and extremely fast, versatile web apps.
Moreover, with Django, the best Python framework, developers can make database transfers between one and the other by applying the same code.
- Object-relational mapper (ORM)
- Database schema migrations
- Template engine
- URL routing
According to GitHub Stars and Forks, Pyramid has gained a score of 3,215 and 866, respectively.
Coming to the features of the Pyramid, it is again an open-source platform similar to Django and stands out as one among the best Python web application frameworks.
It runs on Python version 3 and keeps up-to-date with technological improvements as in then. The most compelling feature of the Pyramid is you can work on both small and large applications.
- Seamless development of single-file applications
- Generation of URLs
- Extendable configuration
- Alterable authentication and authorization
- Asset specifications and templating
- Unified multiple testing, support, and extensive data documentation
- Consists of View Predicates and offers many per-route views
- Designer of all functions
- Quick rendering process
TurboGears is also a full-stack Python web application framework, which is available as open-source.
It has great community support and provides access to a wide range of libraries, to developers.
It integrates the best components of other Python frameworks to deliver excellent web apps. TurboGears provides numerous distinctive features such as:
- Extended support for SQLObject and SQLAlchemy
- Verification with FormEncode
- Comes with multi-database support
- It uses Pylons as a web server
- Works on MVL-style architecture
- Contains ToscaWidgets which is an application library for simplifying the organization of frontend design and server development
- Includes Kid and Genshi in preferred templating languages
This is a highly scalable and open-source full-stack Python framework, which performs well in the handling of data.
It provides a great learning curve and the best teaching tool that targets usage as per convenience.
Therefore, it does not contain any project-level configuration files. The best part with Web2py is it contains its own IDE for creating web-based apps, effortlessly.
- Does not impose any prerequisites for installation and configuration
- Highly potential to run on any latest operating systems such as Amazon EC2, Google App Engine along with Windows, Mac, Linux/Unix and also on any web hosting that works on Python 2.5–2.7 or Java with Python
- Simple to read multiple protocols
- Provides role-based access control and greatly supports international markets
- High data security
- Error logging, tracking, and ticketing
Flask tops the list as the best Python frameworks under the microframework category. It has gained the Stars and Forks of GitHub in more numbers such as 46,475 and 12,921, respectively.
This Python Framework relies on the Werkzeug WSGI toolkit and the Jinja2 template, making the app functionality more effective. Here are the best features that Flask can offer:
- RESTful request dispatching tendency
- Supports integrated unit testing
- Effective HTTP request handling
- Provides client-side secure cookies support
- Capable of plugging in any ORM
- Compliant of WSGI 1.0
The bottle also has a good number of fans when it comes to using it as a Python framework as per GitHub Stars and Forks.
It is an obvious microframework, which is meant for developing APIs. Bottle summarizes everything in just a single source file.
It completely makes use of the Python original library and keeps tight from dependency.
Bottle suits your web app development only if you are planning to develop a very small application only with 500 lines of code.
- Clean and dynamic URL routing
- Fast and out of the box template engine supporting mako, jinja 2 and cheetah
- Complete access to utilities such as file uploads, data, headers, cookies and other HTTP aimed metadata
- HTTP server built-in
CherryPy is a minimalist web app framework and available as open-source. You cannot point the difference between an application developed with CherryPy and any other object-oriented program.
It is an extensive Python web app framework that offers mechanisms for more extensions and hooks points. Take a look over the attractive features provided by the CherryPy python framework.
- It has an in-built thread-pooled webserver of HTTP/1.1-compliant WSGI
- Contains a powerful configuration system
- Potential of running on multiple versions of Python-related tools such as Python 2.7+, Python 3.1+, PyPy, Jython and Android
- Access to a wide range of tools for encoding, sessions, static content, authentication, caching, etc.
- Provides a flexible plugin system
Falcon is known as a bare-metal Python web app framework for building quick APIs in the backend of apps that perform very fast.
Apart from just being fast, the falcon python framework provides enhanced security features and thus, developers prefer it for the web application.
Developers around the globe prefer this framework for building reliable web applications. Here are the features of Falcon you should look into:
- Enables entire coding under complete testing
- Allows you to write highly optimized codebases
- Exceptional handling of databases
- Provides URI templates based on users’ opinions
- Response classes are REST-inspired
- Uses WSGI helpers for unit testing
- Processes DRY requests through middleware components
- Extensive documentation and an active community
If you are looking for a Python web app framework of API 3 version, then Hug is where your search should end.
It allows generating multiple APIs and reuse them within the same app any number of times. It offers 3 variant interfaces to simplify API development.
Here are the lists of few attractive features developers can avail from this Hug python web framework.
- Supports automatic documentation
- Ensures annotation-powered validation
- Cython compliant
- Allow using it as a Python library
- Version management built-in
FastAPI is a modern Python-based app framework. It is also one of the fastest Python frameworks for developing APIs, especially with Python 3.6+.
Developers are able to build codes fast in this framework and the learning curve for this python framework is pretty easy. By the way, this framework is ready for production.
- Improves the performance of an app with a speed of 200% to 300%
- You receive output with reduced errors up to 40% on initial testing itself
- Do not consume much time for debugging
- Cuts down code duplication
- Makes documentation automatic and interactive as well
The asynchronous framework is the recent one in Python frameworks. Sanic is developed using Uvloop, especially for quick HTTP responses that deal with asynchronous requests.
It has scored 12,780 Stars and 1,203 Forks of GitHub for its performance, which should be notable.
- URL routing
- Middleware components
- Auto versioning
- Static files
- Cookies management
- Class-based views and sockets
Tornado is also an asynchronous Python framework that stands out better than Sanic. On usage and performance, it has scored 18,292 GitHub Stars and 5,040 GitHub Forks.
If you can predict that your web app can generate high traffic sooner, Tornado will suit your requirement perfectly. It keeps its primary focus on the app speed and ability to deal with high volume traffic.
- Provides inbuilt support for user authentication
- Non-blocking HTTP client
- Web templating language is Python-based
- Exceptional performance
- Provides support for translation and localization
- Easy execution of third-party authentication and authorization schemes
Dash has got a good performance score through GitHub, but it does not fall under any Python Framework category.
If you want to create analytical web applications, Dash like Python framework should definitely support you.
It provides a simple learning curve for those who do not have app development expertise but are data scientists.
- Highly interactive web applications using only Python code
- Access to powerful Python tools for manipulating data
- Cross-platform and mobile-ready
AIOHTTP is an asynchronous framework and a moderate performing Python web app framework that depends highly on features of Python 3.5+ for Async and Awaits.
It is a server web framework by nature but can also behave as a client-end framework.
Developers around the world prefer this AIOHTTP python framework for developing an effective application that uses client/server modules in it.
- You can effectively build views
- Provides Middleware support
- Offers pluggable routing and signals
- Supports both Client and Server web sockets without the need of Callback Hell
This full-stack Python web app framework relies on the model view controller (MVC) architecture pattern and allows developers, designers, and system admins to function without any dependency.
Giotto is capable of dealing with model, view, and controller individually and in order as well.
- Ensures database persistence with SQLAlchemy
- Automatic URL routing
- Comes with multiple pluggable controllers
- RESTful interface with regular browser POST CRUD site
- Comprises generic models and views
- Operative CRUD patterns
- Uses Jinja2 for HTML templates
- Very concise code
You can see the implications of Node JS and the Express/Connect frameworks in Growler, and it is an asynchronous Python framework.
It does not behave like other conventional Python frameworks when it comes to handling requests.
Instead of the framework, requests pass through middleware technology and get it done. Here are the few lists of features offered by this Growler python web framework.
- Easy program flow to understand because of the unavailability of required callbacks
- Supports a plethora of open-source packages
- It uses decorators for writing clean and reusable code
- Zips the entire web application into a single file with the help of Ziapp
MorePath is a microframework type of Python web app framework and very popularly known as a super-powered Python web app framework.
It sets up minimal footprint for running any simple to complex Python data structures into RESTful Web Services.
Unlike other popular web frameworks of python, this framework is model-driven and offers high flexibility for the developers for developing web applications.
- Produces views only as generic and capable of reusing views in views
- Contains all required tools to generate RESTful Web Services
- You can create generic user interfaces within no time and without any complexity
- Can be extended with having a simple, consistent, and global extension and supports with an override mechanism
- It provides scalable, simple, and powerful authorizations
Pycnic is a popular object-oriented microframework that allows developers to build JSON-based API quickly.
Well, in today’s market this small Pycnic python framework stands as the well-optimized and standalone JSON based API supportive framework manages to survive the heavy competition from the big frameworks.
The below listed are the features provided by this Pycnic python web framework, take a look over it.
- Built-in Error Debugger
- Designed to handle all the JSON based requests
- Capable of handling routing
- Cookies support
- Fast and reliable
The Pylon web framework is developed by an open-source organization using the Python programming language.
This web application framework acts as an entry point for the developers to create a python based application easily and quickly.
Developers all over the globe prefer this Pylons framework for the rapid development of web apps.
Apart from inheriting the python programming language, this framework includes elements and properties of the Perl and Ruby programming languages.
Because of that, this framework can wisely be used for project maintenance.
- Supports WSGI
- Generate and Validate HTML Form
- URL Dispatching
- Routes Configuration for URL Mapping
- WebHelpers for URL Mapping
- Text-Based Templating
- Cross-Platform OS with BSD License
- Supports Third-Party Tools Structure
- Easy Install via PyPI
CubicWeb is a semantic web framework licensed by the LGPL, and the framework is built by using the programming language Python.
This web framework follows the principles of Object-oriented Design and it empowers the professional developers to build an efficient web-based application by allowing them to re-use the components.
The process of components reusing is referred to as cubes in this framework. This component reusing allows developers to gain instant access over the database, web server, and to configure the files easily and quickly.
Semantic web apps are well-known for delivering end-to-end solutions. It is the main reason for opting for this framework by developers around the globe.
- Quality, Efficient, and Re-usability
- Components reusability
- RQL embedding
- Supports OWL & RDF
- Supports Multiple Database
- Highly Secure Workflow
- Powerful and Flexible
- Selection+View mechanism
It is a python based web app framework released to support both beginners and hardcore web developers for speeding-up the web development process.
The Grok web framework allows developers to access the technology easily by using the convention-over-configuration.
Developers can enjoy the power of accessing the wide network and independent libraries for web application development while using this Grok web application framework.
It is a full-stack framework that comes with a similar User Interface environment of Pylons and TurboGears Python web frameworks.
Grok’s unique component architecture along with view support, content objects, and controllers allows web developers to reduce the risk of developing unpredictable app development.
- Improves web development process
- Supports the development of custom web application
- ZTK libraries
- Supports unit testing
- Well-specified API documentation
It is a micro-framework developed by using the python programming language. This bluebream comes with the Zope public license that allows developers to develop a wide range of web application programs with high scalability features.
The inclusion of the Zope Object Database (ZODB) ensures the web application developed under the seamless and adaptable programming environment.
This Bluebream web app framework allows developers to build an efficient web application based on the buildout building system of python programming language.
Because of its enhanced inclusion of Zope, this bluebream is referred to as Zope 3 in the web development world.
- Utilizes Zope Toolkit (ZTK)
- Employs ZODB and Transactional object database
- Creates highly cohesive reusable components
- Highly Efficient
- Allows to develop scalable applications
- Inherits Zope Component Architecture (ZCA)
Quixote is another micro-framework built by using the python programming language. It is widely used by developers to develop a web application with more flexibility and high performance.
Unlike other web frameworks of python, this Quixote doesn’t enforce developers to use presentation logic and back-end logic for web app development; instead, developers can have the freedom of using the traditional techniques of developing an efficient web application.
In the current market, this Quixote web framework available in 3 different versions among the last two versions are highly preferred by the developers around the world and several public web apps are developed by using version 2 and 3 of the Quixote web framework.
- Quixote application acts as a template
- Enables developers to develop open-source projects
- Uses WSGI libraries
- Supports Jinja 2 Templates
- Allows traditional web development techniques
Unlike the other frameworks, this Zope is a web application server that continues to grow with immense popularity among developers around the globe in many distinct ways ever since it was released.
Developers can utilize this Python web framework as a distinct application, as a library and also as a tool while developing web applications.
This full object-oriented python written Zope is a full-stack framework and the Zope platform can be enhanced with the desired python code by the developers.
- Easily customizable
- Supports two versions of python (2 & 3)
- Delivers high performance
- Utilize low memory
- Chameleon-based page template
Nevow is a construction kit built by the Python programming language that allows programmers to express the logic while developing web applications.
Also, this Nevow web framework enables developers to build designer-edited templates. Unlike many other Python web frameworks, this Nevow includes pure python XML syntax for web development.
- Easy to install
- East to handle and use
- Provides diverse functionality
- XHTML template
- Athena JS library
Bobo is a lightweight python-based micro-framework mainly used by the developers to build easy to use and highly flexible web applications.
For those who struggle to develop a complex web application can utilize this framework to convert the web development process into a fun-filled one.
This framework doesn’t come with a database integration layer however it depends upon the WSGI and WebOb libraries for integrating databases.
- No Template engine
- Subtle configuration
- Easy to handle
Muffin is a newly released Asynchronous Python web framework that supports Python 3.4 and above versions.
If you are a developer, then you might be very pleased to use this Muffin web framework for your web development.
It is just a mixture of several tools like the admin interface, RESTAPI, plug-in systems, and so. Muffin framework is suited well for developing small web applications.
- Similar to the Flask web framework
- Supports URL routes
- Uses PeeWee ORM
- Easy to use
- Simple & Fast
Ray is a python web-based micro-framework that is pretty much similar to the Falcon web framework.
Developers around the globe prefer this micro-framework for building RESTful APIs for their web development.
Unlike the majority of the python web framework, this Ray micro-framework comes with the built-in authentication support along with the validation provision which can be used at any stages of web app development.
- Easy to install
- Supports Query String
- Acts as a Shield for HTTP method
- Similar to backend server operations
Owing to the benefits and easiness of the web development process, many developers around the globe prefer this Vibora python web framework. Vibora is an Asynchronous python web framework used to gain the HTTP client access.
With the vibora web framework, developers can enjoy the benefits of using various libraries that include Jinja 2, Marshmallow, Web Sockets, and so. The Web APIs used in this Vibora framework prefers IO mostly.
- Mainly used to develop client applications
- Supports Domain-based routes
- Enables streaming and caching facilities
- Easily customizable
- Inherits transparent content decoding
WebCore is a nano framework developed by using the python programming language.
Unlike other Python web frameworks, this Webcore is small in size and in total it consists of only 400 lines of source coding.
Because of its minimal size, developers would feel so easy to handle and adapt. Moreover, it is easy to learn for beginners.
- Easy to install
- Standard Python WSGI
- Highly adaptable
- Developer’s friendly
- Rely on Webob package
Jam.py framework preferred by the developers who are not a hardcore programmer for building a business application.
Developers even point out that using the Jim.py web framework is almost similar to using MS Access.
Just like MS Access, the framework Jim.py focuses on the issues.
The main objective of this python web framework is to allow the developers to develop a database-driven web application for businesses carrying complex operations at ease.
It allows developers to store data, share and analyze the data as per the application needed.
- Simple and clear IDE
- Open-source framework
- Easy report generation
- JS charting library
- Pre-defined CSS themes
- Allow to develop and test apps locally
The developers can find it easy to build a fully customized web app by using this SteelScript framework.
Moreover, this framework allows developers to develop an application that gathers data from multiple sources.
Also, report generation by using this Riverbed SteelScript framework is easy since it comes with the predefined NetProfiler and NetShark.
Unlike other frameworks, this SteelScript removes all those unnecessary programming codes that drag developers to spend several hours to create and allows developers to concentrate more on the desired coding.
- Quick to install
- Web-based Configuration
- Built-in Widgets
- Riverbed Infrastructure
- Fast API access
Masonite is a new framework and it was released in 2017. Although it is new, it replicates some features and styling of Django, the best Python web app framework but looking forward to showing some improvement in some common pain areas.
- Improved coding platform
- URL routing through middleware
- Support for sending an email, S3 upload, and queuing inbuilt
- Comes with highly extensible architecture and exhibits impressive integration capabilities
Startlette apart from being a light-weight AGSI framework provides a great toolkit with need-per-basis integration, allowing you to develop web apps at any degree of monitoring you wish to.
The framework provides a standard interface between frameworks, applications and async-capable web servers.
- Web Socket support
- In-process background tasks
- Session and cookie support
- GraphQL support
- Gzip, static files
Developing a web app with Uvloop like Python framework is hard to deny because it is lightning fast when it comes to performance.
It can be used in the place of asyncio-based applications or replace an existing asyncio application.
Here are the features which developers can avail by using this Uvloop python web framework on web app development.
- Uses Cython for additional accolades
- Writes the most important codes in C programming language
- Double the time fast as Node JS, Gevent
Webppy gets the combination of the two Python Frameworks, less simplicity of Flash, and the finishing of Django. It consists of a majority of Django features such as data layers and authentication.
- ORM built-in
- Schema integrations
- Supports extensible extension mechanism
- RESTful APIs
- Service decorator with JSON or XML
Wheezy.web is a light-weight framework that uses the standard Python library and gets the extreme benefits out of it.
It can run on Python 2.4 up to Python 3. Developers are able to develop high performance, modern, and effective web applications by using this Wheezy.web python framework.
- It follows the MVC architecture pattern
- Push-based architecture for pushing the data to the template layer
- Base handler
- URL Routing
- Model Binding
- Templating and Widgets
- Authentication and Authorization
Responder, similar to the pattern followed by Webppy, brings in the best from other Python frameworks like Falcon and Flash, extensively and molds them as a single framework.
It is a famous framework mainly used by the developers for availing HTTP services for their web development.
The framework’s ability to mount ASGI/WSGI provides the perfect WebSocket support for the developers.
- Inbuilt production static file server
- Native GraphQL support
- Comes with testing client built-in
- Automatic zipped responses for requests handled
Molten is light-weight, easy, and quick to install Python framework, whose primary purpose is to create HTTP APIs using Python.
Developers can enjoy the automated validation request on using this Molten framework from their web app development.
Yes! You heard it right, the Molten validates according to the predefined schemas.
- Automatic validation of HTTP requests
- Pre-defined schemas for integration
- Function-based middleware
- Dependency injection
- Includes molten.contrib package
- Prometheus metrics and configuration files
- Request IDs
- Templating and web sockets
Japronto is an asynchronous type Python web app framework that works on Python 3.5+HTTP toolkit collaborated with pipelining HTTP server upon Uvloop and Picohttpparser.
Developers can achieve fast progress by using this Japronto python framework. Moreover, this python framework gives scalable features for developing web applications.
Though modern-day developers are not using this framework for developing applications yet still it isn’t abandoned totally from the market.
- Implementation of HTTP 1.x support for broken uploads
- Complete support for HTTP pipelining
- Hols alive connections using configurable reaper
- Simple URL routing
- Highly supports code reloading upon changes done
- Supports both synchronous and asynchronous views
The main intention of our blog is to help developers understand which Python Framework will be the best for their web app development.
Have a proper strategic plan and get into the deep down of your app idea to decide which features you want to develop using the Python Web app framework.
Experts from Top Python Development Company say that among the available Python frameworks, Django turns out to be the best one because it is as powerful as using the Python language.
But you need not stick on to one particular framework is the reason that we have provided a plethora of options for you to choose.
We hope you had a great time reading this article and it proves to be of great value for any Python Web Development Company. Thank You.!